Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: motorguide xi5

Post Thanks / Like

Default motorguide xi5

Morning folks, Anymore updates on the motorguide xi5 from you guys in the south? Followed the Jimmy Freeland story and seems the jury is still out? I want to be able to fish from anywhere in my boat and also use the gps anchor lock so will be replacing my old powerdrive with either the 80pd terrova with 60 in shaft or the xi5 . Im 50-50 on which way to go but need to make my mind up and get one ordered soon. Thanks
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Had my Xi5 out for the first time Thursday. It is the 24 volt 80 lbs mounted on 18 ft Cagun fish&ski. Wind was 12mph gusting to 20. The top end speed was really good, anchor lock held me within a 2-3 feet of marked spot, motor is quiet but still has some noise when turning. Friends 12 volt wasn't as loud. I ran a troll from the back of boat using the hand remote, worked great. Dislikes, foot control turns motor fast, almost too fast and I would over control. The whole unit impedes my line of sight while running big motor and blocks point of boat when loading out and no easy way to mount a transxer on motor. It will take some time for me to get use to it. it is much easier than sitting on a cable drive TM and I don't miss that.
    Likes genec LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Great synopsis whaler and thank you. Think ill just go ahead and order one in the morning as long as I can get the bracket which Ive heard are scarce right now. Probly wont be using the foot pedal that much but will be nice to have.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Used mine all weekend at a tournament...love it, impressed! 19 foot tin boat in 18 mph winds held up good. I am a bit under motored, I have a 12v 55lb thrust (ran off 2 bat in parallel) I should have went with the 24 volt system but as far as what I got for now I'm very impressed! I put this thing through its paces daylight to dark for 2 solid days. I must have hit the anchor lock on 300 different occasions...never failed to preform flawlessly! Obviously the stern of the boat would blow around but the bow would stay pretty much locked within a couple feet (when it was calm no wind it was almost spot on with no movement at all) super quiet, the stow and deploy thing takes some getting used to, they need a auto deploy and retract button on the remote..lol I am going to be ordering a 24v and switching it out, but overall impressed with the motor itself.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by David Schneider; 03-23-2014 at 10:35 AM.
    It's just about being out there, doing what you enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

Trust me on experience, never buy first year technology. Especially, Motorguide pinpoint which has failed in the past. I love my Riptide Ipilot! It anchors great, but I mainly use cruise and autopilot for long lining.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply David. Glad you like your xi5 and looks like a real nice boat you have it mounted on. I also thought about buying the 55 thrust for my lund 1675 explorer so I wouldn't have to add the extra battery and long jumper to switch to 24v system. Ill have to put my new battery in rear compartment along side my cranking battery.

Thx crappieliimits , yes I figured the first year technology might have a bug or 2 to work out , but In the Jimmy Freeland incident seems that motorguide folks were right on top of the problem. I fish mainly lindy rigs with leaches, or slow drag bottom bouncers with crawler harnesses so the cruise should work great for that.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Minn Kota. Minn Kota. My terrova has been thru it and back and still is smooth as silk!
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-26-2014 at 03:26 PM.
    Likes Drtodd10 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey David! It looks like you have yourself set up pretty fine there. I was looking at the xi5's as well, but have so many fishing buddies running the terrova that they bullied me into a new 80# ipilot. Glad to see your doing well and out there fishin. My spring thoughts on going south are not going to happen, but the fall is a real possibility! Tight lines my friend!

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Been thinking about getting one of these remote controlled trolling motors but I've a question - how do you
    tie down the transducer wire to the shaft?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good Yank! Hope all is going well with you my friend. Stay in touch ;-)
    It's just about being out there, doing what you enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast