Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: cant catchem or get a bit this year

Post Thanks / Like

Default cant catchem or get a bit this year

Hey folks, I am a new member here, but have been lurking around for a couple years and have found a wealth of information which I appreciate and thank all the posters for. Basically a walleye fisherman at heart but this early in the year I usually go for crappies and blue gills (mainly crappies) at my favorite sandpit which has always been loaded and easy to catch with quite a few slabs, which might be surprising to some. Anyway to make a long story short the ice went out approx. 10 days ago been out twice and cant get a bite yet alone catch a crappie. Usually just a bobber and minnow off the derrick or simple jig tipped with a minnow will work and I am not sure whats going on. Water temp right around 41ish and I forgot to mention that I live in Nebraska. Most years I can catch plenty shortly after the ice is gone and Ill catch enough for a couple suppers and call it good unless I get bored later on and go back, I did catch quite a few bass which I could care less about. So anyway I wonder whats up this year? Im sure they are still in there? Now it turned cold again today so Ill try it again , maybe this coming Tuesday. Perhaps I am just bored and ranting, who knows. Let me know if any of you gurus have any ideas? Thank you very much for reading.. Always a pleasure reading these forums. Good fishing to everyone... Thanks Mark

Post Thanks / Like

The only advice I have is just stay after em and never give up!

Post Thanks / Like

Brother don't let it get you down. I'm having the same problem this year. We will get on them. Just keep trying.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried your deeper holes in that area? Strange winter this year, they my not have moved yet. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, and yes I will keep trying. Slabbacks Im sure your right. I don't have permission to put a boat in so I am stuck fishing off the bank or a rickety old platform floating on barrels. Hard to believe it can be in the high 60s one day and then teens next day.

Post Thanks / Like

just always seems to be that way when water is cold and just starting to warm up. stay after them I'm sure they will turn on soon

Post Thanks / Like

Cold water slows them down a lot. fish shallow or deeper where the water is warmer if you can gauge it. Jig slower than usual. If you think you are too slow, SLOW down some more! Slow is key.
    USAF Retired and fishing!