Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Help With Decision Ipilot or Wireless Motorguide for my boat??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Help With Decision Ipilot or Wireless Motorguide for my boat??

I have a 1860CC Grizzly Tracker aluminum boat I use for Bass, crappie, bream fishing in local rivers, lakes etc here in Louisiana. I bought it 7 years ago with a 55lb thrust minn kota hand till trolling motor. I'm ready to upgrade my boat and was wanting either the wireless 55lb motorguide trolling motor or the Minn Kota Ipilot version.

I can get the wireless Motorguide for around $700 complete with shipping, one wireless keychain remote control and one wireless foot control.
    I can get the Ipilot with wireless remote for about $970 with shipping.

About a $300 difference but here is where I'm stuck at. I know both companies make a great product and both are the same 55lb power. The motorguide would save me some money but some say the Minn Kota uses your battery power better and can go longer on a charge? Also Minn Kota claims their motor is quieter and they have the GPS/anchor feature you can use with the Ipilot. The motorguide from what I understand is wireless and remote controlled but has no GPS or anchor function. Do you think that alone is really worth the extra money?

Any thoughts or preferences? Will the extra features of the Minn Kota just tend to wear out quicker vs the Motorguide?

Post Thanks / Like

I have the I pilot and love it for trolling for crappie but I don't really like the foot controller when bass fishing. A little harder to operate than the motor guide I use to have. It's not as responsive seems you have to push on it harder so is a pain to me. Now the anchor function is great if you want to bass fish a point or are fishing for crappie over structure.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The Ipilot has so many more functions than the anchor lock that it's worth the extra money to me. I spider rig mostly any more and auto pilot alone is worth it to me. Record tracks and rerun, cruise control. Mine is 55 on 17.9 WarEagle and never come close to running out of battery.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes CrappieFlopper LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

yea forgot to mention cruise control that is an awesome feature when trolling. you can hit cruise control and the N button and do anything you want in the boat and not worry about trolling motor. and if you have a good pattern you can record it and keep repeating

Post Thanks / Like

Run Ipilot in Illinois.....only way to go. Last year was my first year!! This year bought the universal plate so I can switch between my two boats. Going to sale the Fotrex! Should have bought one a longgggggggggggggggg time ago! 2nd the reruns, cruise control, bearing locks

DrNip is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If it's the motor guide xi5 you can add the gps later which will allow you to use anchor lock.

Post Thanks / Like

Mk

Post Thanks / Like

Ipilot. . Has been on the market longer and is a great product.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello: I have a Minn Kota Riptide st 80 I pilot. Works great but the spot lock on it should be called an area lock. I try to use it for brush piles and it keeps me within 10' to 15' , I want to be a lot closer to jig and dip. I am really disappointed with the spot lock which was what I wanted it for. I am looking at the x i 5 motor guide with the gps anchor lock , it is supposed to anchor your boat and hold it within a few feet. Good Luck this season. O - R
    Likes genec LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely MinnKota....I have a 80 Lb. Terrova with I-Pilot and love it.....best thing I ever bought
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Slab LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast