Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anyone have any drop shot experience?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone have any drop shot experience?

I was wanting to try to drop shot from the bank... Is this an okay time to try it? Also any tips you guys can offer? Is it okay to drop shot with a bobby garland? Do you still have it on a jighead or so you nose hook it with a octopus hook? Just wanted to try it any help would be appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a lot of experience with the drop shot for smallmouth bass, in a deep clear water reservoir. I've also had decent success using it for LM bass when fishing from shore. I've only been using the drop shot for crappie for the past 2 seasons, both drifting in a boat and some shore fishing.

It is a very deadly technique, when employed for just about any species and in almost all situations - from boat or on shore. As long as you understand it's limitations; it is not a search tool and you'll be doing a lot of re-tying if you use it in snag infested waters. And, it is most effective in clear to lightly stained water, as it is surely a visual presentation. That being said, once you pin point the crappies position, it can be very effective for you, as I've been finding out!

BG plastics are usually at the top of my list regardless of what platform I'm presenting them from. I do not use the drop shot with a jig head however. Not needed. Just nose hook the plastic. Use a Gamakatsu Split Shot/Drop Shot hook, size #2 works for me for any species. When drop shotting for crappie from shore, I use a 1/8 oz. sinker; a 1/4 oz., or more, from a boat. Hope this is of some help.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Firebug2006 LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If I am fishing from the bank , which I do a lot, and the water is less than 12 feet I would always prefer to use a slip float setup. To me, a drop shot is more effective when used as a vertical presentation from a boat or a pier in deeper water....for example greater than 12 feet. Just my opinion.
    Name:  Versatility Rig.jpg
Views: 40210
Size:  85.8 KB
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

What action rod do you prefer for that technique (drop shot)... I've been catching some casting at night up in the creeks... I'm thinking there's a lot more out in the main lake on some humps that guys catch them on from the boat... Was thinking drop shot might be good there... Dunno

Post Thanks / Like

pm sent

Post Thanks / Like

For crappie I use a light action, 7' spinning rod with a fast tip. I like to fill my Symetre with 4# test Fireline Crystal and a 3' fluoro leader section. A Spro #8 PowerSwivel makes the connection.

For smallies, I step it up to a 6'6" medium-light spinning rod, with 6# test Fireline and 6# test fluoro lead.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I have used drop shot rigs for catfish, bluegill, crappie, and smallmouth. I have done good at times slow drifting if the bottom isn't too snaggie. I like the drop shot rigs because I can use larger baits or I can use little trout flies when I fish crappie or bluegill in the summer months.