Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rigging question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rigging question

Hey guys, I've been spider rigging lately and having good luck with it. Im thinking about modifying my rig a little and I wanted to see yalls opinion and advice on it. Im thinking about running a clear line on my reels so I Don't have to tie a swivel or anything I can just wrap weight through line a few times and don't have to have a swivel or leader line because I've been running hi vis line then clear leader line. Do yall think seagar flurocarbon 8 or 10lb line would be good to do that with? Didn't know if crappie could see that line and be scared if it. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I use hi vis and run it through my egg sinker to my jig and haven't had any problems catching fish, but I'm also in stained water. 8 lb fluoro should do fine if you're wanting to go that route

Post Thanks / Like

That seaguar is tough stuff. I wouldn't be afraid to run 4 or 6 lb if you're worried about it spooking fish

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for response. So you don't use a swivel or anything either? If it works for you I'm sure it will for me. I'll probably go will flurocarbon to be safe. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use a swivel for slow trolling but I will change my line weight depending on time of year. Like spring time when I'm dealing with a lot of wind I'll use heavier line because I'm using a bigger weight to keep my jigs straight down, but summer I'll use lighter line due to I'm using smaller weights and not dealing with the wind as much

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response. I'll probably start off with 8 or 10lb flurocarbon or fluroclear.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 8lb hi-vis mono and I'm in the minority. Most folks use 10lb for longlining and cranks. I'm tying 10lb braid direct for deep jigging and not seen a decline in the catch rate and get a lot more of my jigs back. Fish don't care about the braid and they have a chance to look at it, and I fish a somewhat stained water.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for response skeetbum. I didn't know if 8 lb would be enough to hold 1/2 weight and be able to pull a decent size crappie in.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 6# hi vis with a 4# Flurocarbon leader with 1 oz weight. I have landed catfish up to 10 pounds so it should hold any crappie I catch. I like the leader because I tie up rigs and wrap then on a swim noodle and they are easy to replace if I get hung in brush. Keeps me from losing main line off my reel also.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't run 100% fluoro for the main line due to price. Especially if you're spider rigging and talking about spooling several rods. For a leader it's great.

And FWIW, unless it is super clear water, I don't think the line color makes a difference. In our stained water here, we've run hi-vis and clear side by side with no difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast