Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: last ice in Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

Default last ice in Pa.

I need some help fishing here in Pa. We have about another week or two of safe ice in the Northeast here and I'll be fishing for crappie for the last time. This pond has an average depth of 6'-7' and the fish usually bite 1 hour before dark and that's it. Even after dark I stayed an hour or two with no crappie! My ? is should I stay fishing the 6-7' of water for that last hour or go 3-4 feet or go to a small area I found that is about 10 feet deep? Thanks for any of your opinions at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I would really check out the VERY shallow water near the deep water. Crappies and gills move very shallow in the mid day period to dark. Esp. on sunny afternoons they will go quite shallow under the ice. Have seen this many times and our fish have put the early spring move on as I right this. If you have a camera don't drop it to fast because your fish will be just under the ice a lot of the time and you might just go right past them. Hope this helps.....STEVE

Post Thanks / Like

I would try the ten foot stay about four to five feet off the bottom. Try a horizontal jig with a waxy. Keep a minnow on a slip next to you and don't count our placing a few tip ups out with fatheads