Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Led lightbars and night fishing

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Led lightbars and night fishing

Anybody using LEDs to navigate by? If so how are you mounting them? I'm wondering if you could use a seat pedestal mount and a plug for the trolling motor to power them. After hitting. Floating object the other morning and scaring the mess outa me. I've gave this a lotta thought.

Post Thanks / Like

I havn't tried the LED lights on my boat. I had a halogen light mounted on my boat to aid with navigation. I mounted mine on the side of the trolling motor bracket. I drilled a hole through the "O" in the word MotorGuide so when I took it off the boat you couldn't see the hole. I have used some of the Rigid Dually lights before on other things, and they are very bright. Not a 100%, but I don't think you can run a constant foward projecting light while underway on the water, due to blinding other boaters.

Post Thanks / Like

Bama, I have a 16' jon boat that I installed 15' strip led lights ($15 from amazon) on each side of my boat and I activate them by flipping a switch I installed between the lights and the battery. They draw so very little current I leave them on all the time when i fish at night. I switch them off when I don't need them or daylight. I wrapped mine 2 feet from the front to wrap around the back. You can add them to the front and cut to length as needed. You can simply solder new wires to the cut points and have a new smaller strip or get the strip that has wires at both ends that way when you cut it to length you get two pieces already wired.
    Mounted the lights under lip of boat edge all around to prevent the light from shining back on me. Used gorilla glue to bond to surface as it is water activated. You have to dampen the surface before applying the glue and it hardens with reaction to that water. This way it does not wash off throughout the years of use.
    Here's a pic...
    Name:  IMG_0614.jpg
Views: 5566
Size:  32.6 KB

and link to buy...
    http://www.amazon.com/Strip-light-Wa...d+light+strips
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Likes cva34, 20watt LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I gotta check with water patrol about running lights at night and see what they say. I'm thinking more of a light bar than strips of LEDs .

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  35.7 KBWas thinking something like this that is easy to take on and off.

Post Thanks / Like

check out seelite. lots of lighting options. http://seelite.myshopify.com

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the process of building an LED lighting system on my boat. I made one of the mounts for a light on the side and had callshy to make me a riser bar mount for the back that can also be used as a trolling bar. I plan on adding a 3rd light for the other side as well. I tested the other two out the other night and was amazed at the light they cast. I see people on guntersville night fishing and riding with big bright lights constantly running all the time so I hope it is legal since I already spent the money. I am trying to get pictures of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the stars to navigate, however on those rare occasions I do have a 2 million candle power 12 volt portable light to navigate at night.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Water patrol confirmed that you cannot run lights continuously . You have to cut them on and off. Just not worth the risk for me to run at night. Gonna have to learn to find the fish during the day.

Post Thanks / Like

Bama S, I hardly think they enforce that and how often do they have to be cut on and off? I see the bowfishermen running all those light continuously on guntersville a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast