Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about trolling

Do you guys that troll let your jigs bump the bottom of the lake or do you set them at different depths? I'm learning how to troll now and it seems to make more sense to me to set the jigs at different depths.

Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

you wanna keep your baits at or above the crappie. if they bumping the bottom, they gonna below em most times.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

While we are on the subject of trolling; is it better to idle with the gas motor(25hp) or use the trolling motor?

Post Thanks / Like

I am use to just controlling depth by how far back my jig is and the weight of the jig as well. If under 6' deep water I use a 1/32 oz and over that either the same or 1/16 oz. I cast out as far as I can to start and if I feel the need I let put more line as I pull. I have my trolling motor speed set about 3 our of 10 and changing some for wind.

I know if sounds simple but it works well for me.

Hope this helps,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Rango has a point ....

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyfootnc
    Do you guys that troll let your jigs bump the bottom of the lake or do you set them at different depths? I'm learning how to troll now and it seems to make more sense to me to set the jigs at different depths.

Thanks for the help!
    and besides, if they're "bumping bottom" ... you're going to lose a lot more of them
    If the fish are on or near the bottom .... you'd want your jigs about a foot or so "off" the bottom (again, because Rango's statement is in reference to the fact that Crappie feed "looking up"). But, keeping your jig slightly above the depth of the Crappie ... infers that you already "know" how deep the fish are suspended. If you "don't know" ... then, yes, run them at different depths until you connect, then put all of them at or near that same depth. ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slimecoat
    While we are on the subject of trolling; is it better to idle with the gas motor(25hp) or use the trolling motor?
    You can use either. If i'm going to be out most of the day I will use my 9.9 kicker. Trolling motor batteries will not last all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about trolling

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyfootnc

Thanks for the help!
    My opinion your thinking is quite right about setting jig/ bait @ different
    depth. Once you are cathing fish, more than one @ a know depth, then
    I would change others to same depth.
    Billy Deuce

Fried Crappie.... "The real thing".

Post Thanks / Like

I use my trolling motor, And have never ran the battery's down. Bug I may just be lucky..
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling

turkeyfootnc, Are you talking about spider rigging with your poles set out front, or are you talking about trolling pulling from the back or side ?
    Sounds like your talking about pulling from the back.
    I spider rig, and I use the trolling motor, but it does'nt stay on all the time, I
    just bump it now and then to keep slowly moving. The battery [ deep cycle ]
    will last all day, even the next day.
    I've seen guys pulling jigs from the back using there trolling motor continuity
    and they had to have extra batterys.
    I think the other guys are giving you very good advice, good luck fishing.

SRM

Post Thanks / Like

I use a technique that I've never seen anybody else do, but I'm sure I'm not the only one doing it. I use a transom mount trolling motor mounted next to my outboard with its own battery. (I have a 16' tracker w/40hp). I originally did this the first time I took out the boat when I first bought it (used) because I was afraid of being stranded (and its a good thing I did because my hunch was right). I can use the transom mount by its self and go slow (for jigs), or I can lock into a straight ahead position turned on high and at the same time use the bow mount to go faster (for small crank baits) . My favorite way is to put a jig or minnow under a slip bobber and just bump along slowly with the transom mount. It also comes in real handy when I have to get the nose of the boat close to shore because somebody decides they want to go for some "tree trout". I've never had a battery die on me either.
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast