Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about handheld gps units??

Post Thanks / Like

Default What about handheld gps units??

I am in the market for a handheld gps and hoping you fellers and gals can help me get the one I need. I am illiterate on this subject. But I know I want one that will hold the most points for the money. Any help would be appreciated.

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a Delorme pn - 60 and its dead on accurate for speed when long lining and trolling, and with a map of the lake its more accurate on bottom features if you download USGS topo maps of the lake and install on it. But,,I also use it for hunting and backbacking western mts. and southern mts as well. There are other units that are just as good as delorme, like the garmens. Delorme has a pretty steep learning curve and have used it since delorme started making them...before that,,I used delormes mapping software with a hand held lorance model. One thing you have to get really used to is the small screen..but fishing out of a jon boat,,this works for me with my lorance fish finders front and rear. You can use most hand helds with a 12v cable attached to them, or with delorme, I get about 8 hrs of battery time before switching out the lith. ion batteries that are rechargeable. Waypoints are dead on accurate as well with hand helds today. If it were me,,I would read up on each at their websites. I never have like Magellan but my 2 picks for best handhelds are Garmen and Delorme. both are waterproof and shockproof to some extent. Both have fantastic service and warrantee depts. as well. Good luck on your picks.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

been using a yellow etrex from Wall-Mart for 5 plus yrs. no problems .
    Likes NIMROD LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I had a blue etrex legend one of the black and white models. Used it for 8 years and it held all I ever needed. I let a guy take it with a boat I sold.... one of my top 10 worst decisions ever.

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased the Etrex 10 (yellow one) this past weekend at Academy. Years ago I had a Garmin Cx10 I believe and liked it but the new one seems pretty easy to operate and more features. It will do for trolling speed I believe.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used a Lowrance H2O for a long time and have found it to be very accurate.

When I upgraded to the HDS unit for my boat, the waypoints transferred directly to the HDS unit. It is not available any more but if the Endura models are as good as the H2O they should make a good unit.

They accept the Fishing Hot Spots Pro USA, and LakeMaster chips.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Magellan. Accurate. The best thing I like is the ability to not only number a spot, but to also name it. Once you get close to a 1,000 spots marked you can remember a name a lot better than a number. I have several of the handheld units. I have each area named by a common name. like colors, states, trees, birds, cars, etc. Each name is a certain area of the lake and each area is for the mot part at a constant depth of water.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using a etrax as well for the past 3 years. Very functional. Mine came with a 12v accessory plug and I keep it plugged in all the time. Batteries get expensive.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Garmen eTrex 20, best bang for the buck IMO. Use mine for hunting and fishing all the time, absolutely love it. Not too pricey, has all the features you'll want and has some nice upgrades available too.

Post Thanks / Like

Etrax. Been using one for years with the fire department to relay coordinates to land lifesaver, accurate and easy to use. I think it will hold up to 2000 waypoints.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast