Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3m 5200 Fast Cure

Post Thanks / Like

Default 3m 5200 Fast Cure

I posted in the past couple weeks, I posted the question about how to handle leaky rivets on my Alumnacraft. Well, the company wasn't real concerned with it (which speaks for the company when it comes to future purchases for me), but no worries. The suggestion was made about covering the areas with 3m 5200. I have done PLENTY of research on this product and have decided it is definitely the way to go, outside of replacing rivets. I'm one who likes the "quick fix", but from what I've read and am hearing, it is going to be a permanant one, too. So, with that being said, I have checked Lowes, Menard's, etc...and have found it with a couple of the places, and they won't order it for me. I can buy it off ebay and amazon from different places and for different prices, but here is my thought:
    WHY NOT SUPPORT OUR GROUP HERE AT CRAPPIE.COM? DOES ANYONE SELL THE STUFF? If not, no worries. But, I would rather spend my money with you all and help someone out, than with a big box store. However, with that being said, I'm finding average prices for around the $16/10 ounce caulk tube, and about $11-12 for the 3 ounce portable that I would like to keep in the boat just in case.

Let me know! If I don't hear back from anyone in about 2 or 3 days, I'm going to have to go ahead and order this stuff online. My boat is yelling at me to get her on the water!

Post Thanks / Like

Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

Look for a West Marine, they will definitely have it. Failing that, you can sometimes find it at hardware stores.

Be aware of three things: 1) working with 5200 is messy. You will get it where you do not want it. Wear nitrile or latex gloves. Put tape around the repair area as well (masking). 2) 5200 needs moisture to cure. Spritz with water over the application area when you are finished and give it time to cure. 3) Get a wire brush for a drill and clean the repair area, then wipe down with acetone and let it dry before you apply the 5200.

Good luck!

Founding Member of Team SeaBrat

Tampa Bay Area - Florida

Post Thanks / Like

It will not be permanent. Rivets that leak are loose, over time vibration and movement will cause it to fail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by speckfinder View Post
    It will not be permanent. Rivets that leak are loose, over time vibration and movement will cause it to fail.
    X-2 I'd bust on the manufacturer some more and have a permanent fix.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My concern is that's not a real repair. If the rivet is loose it is loose. It needs to be drilled out and replaced at the least with a blind pop rivet to tighten that area up then use sealer over it. That rivet is holding 2 pieces of something together that need to stay attached.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes short grub, Cane Pole LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

If you can get to the inside where the rivet is it would be better to use a hammer rivet, then you wouldn't need any sealant.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You need the bucking rivet for a permanent repair.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    You need the bucking rivet for a permanent repair.
    The bucking rivet is the problem!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast