Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie rod for solo reel

Post Thanks / Like

Question Crappie rod for solo reel

Hello fellow members of crappie.com I recently started crappie fishing and ran into these forums and have so far learned alot. I was woundering if anyone could help me out i'm currently looking to get a Mr.crappie solo reel but I'm not able to find a company who makes a rod with the reel seat at the bottom that doesn't exceed 6' any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick question, why such a short pole?

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bombela, first off welcome to the forum. Stick around longer and you will learn a lot from some of the best.

The reason you can't find a bottom seat rod as short as 6 foot would defeat the purpose of the rod and solo reel. The Solo reel is basically a place to hold extra line. It's not made to cast with. So to use such a reel you need a pole of longer length to use for jigging tightline straight down or you can use it in shallow water with or without a float to swim your bait around structure which hold fish. You use the length of the pole to keep you at a distance that you won't spook the fish in shallow water. A jig pole is just a big improvement of the old fashion bamboo pole which I'm sure you have seen before. If you want to be casting bait or jigs with a 6' pole you'll need to go to a spinning reel.
    I hope this helps somewhat, please ask if it's not clear enough.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!
    Likes 20watt, Mac11 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Pawpaw pretty much summed it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Well the reason for a short rod is because ill be mainly going to be dock/barge fishing and a big rod is a bit of an overkill inside the barge. I wont be really casting ill be mainly vertical jigging could i maybe use a spinning reel?

Thank you all

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You might look at some of the fly rod's in that length. May be a little expensive for that though. Look for a spinning rod with the Slip ring reel holder like this one.
    http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...duct/10204875/

Set the reel where you want it then wrap it with electrical tape. That way rings can't move.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bombela View Post
    Well the reason for a short rod is because ill be mainly going to be dock/barge fishing and a big rod is a bit of an overkill inside the barge. I wont be really casting ill be mainly vertical jigging could i maybe use a spinning reel?

Thank you all
    Wally world has some low end fly rods for around $20, only problem is they're 7 ft. On the bright side if you don't like it you're only out 20...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Eagle-Claw...ingMethod=p13n

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

bombela, I somewhat understand what you are saying but going with a 6' spinning rod and reel opens you up to not only the use you're talking about, but will allow you to cast jigs and use other approaches. That way your tackle would not be so job specific. Either way you go, have a bunch of fun.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Yep a spinning reel on a 6ft rod is what you need. The solo reel is for jigging with a long rod. If your fishing docks you want a spinning reel. The solo reel is not the tool for the job.

Reggie

Post Thanks / Like

I got the 12' solo rod with the solo reel and like it.
    FIN