Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slough Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slough Fishing

I have a few areas around me that I duck hunt, that are basically big (1000+ acres) beaver swamps off of small rivers. Has anybody had success fishing this kind of water? There isn't much, if any, fishing pressure due to it being private land and you have to have a mud motor to get into it. I see gar in there so I know there is fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I use to have a beaver swamp that I duck hunted that was fed by a small stream we wld kill the bass an bream. But it was by no comparison that big this was more like 5 acres at Best.

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate it. I figure it can't hurt to try it out. My brother owns 40 acres down the river from this spot and it has a 10 acre beaver pond that you can see the bass and bream in it.

Post Thanks / Like

can I go too, that's my kind of swamp

Post Thanks / Like

I used to fish sloughs off of the misissippi river when I was a kid with my dad and we caught the fire out of some crappie in them. Some of the biggest crappies I ever caught came from them sloughs. I would have to give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

How would y'all fish it? I was thinking just a minnow under a slip float

Post Thanks / Like

We always used double minner rigs,as I still do. I am sure minner and a float would work fine though.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was younger, we used to fish the slough's off the Ohio River and caught really nice size crappie. We used a cane pole with minnows under a bobber. Fished in the lily pads. Those were fun times!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd drop a jig/bobber or minnow/bobber around any standing cover or brush. During the spawn you might catch fish only 6" deep. I'd also use the longest pole I could find to keep from spooking those shallow fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I only use jigs since around 1965 never used a minnow after I learned how to fish a jig. As for the slough , thats all we fish as I was growing up, Grafton IL was my favorite place until I discovered Horseshoe in Olive Branch IL, and I'm live in Missouri, and still fish 90% of the time in IL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast