Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fort Mccoy fishing?

Foxy is offline Moderator Massachusetts Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fort Mccoy fishing?

I'm in the Army reserve and will be stationed at Fort Mccoy from 3/17 until mid april. Never been to wisconsin before and was just wondering what you can tell me about fishing there this time of year? I hear there's some good brook trout streams on base but thats about all

Post Thanks / Like

I live about an hour southeast of Fort McCoy. Your coming at a tough time right now because there is so much ice (28 inches here) on the lakes and it looks like it won't be off anytime soon. However, you can hit the Mississippi River or Petenwell dam. I don't have much experience this time of year on those bodies of water but they are close to you. If I run into some ice fishing on Lake Wisconsin I will contact you and you can join me for the day if you can hitch a ride down. I got 6 rather small crappies ice fishing this last Monday, not great but this year has been tough. The gill bite can be great but you really need to know the techniques and have good electronics. If you don't have electronics I can borrow something or we dan find a place it's not as important.

Foxy is offline Moderator Massachusetts Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam View Post
    I live about an hour southeast of Fort McCoy. Your coming at a tough time right now because there is so much ice (28 inches here) on the lakes and it looks like it won't be off anytime soon. However, you can hit the Mississippi River or Petenwell dam. I don't have much experience this time of year on those bodies of water but they are close to you. If I run into some ice fishing on Lake Wisconsin I will contact you and you can join me for the day if you can hitch a ride down. I got 6 rather small crappies ice fishing this last Monday, not great but this year has been tough. The gill bite can be great but you really need to know the techniques and have good electronics. If you don't have electronics I can borrow something or we dan find a place it's not as important.

Thanks really appreciate the reply, 28 inches holy cow! I don't think I'm going to be allowed to leave base but if I do get the chance i will definitely contact you. Thanks again --Ryan