Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catalytic Heaters and Propane Tanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Catalytic Heaters and Propane Tanks.

Catalytic Heaters and Propane Tanks. I was at the store yesterday and was looking at these things. One is circular in shape and mounts on top of a 20 lb propane tanke. It radiates the heat outwards and puts out about 15,000 BTU's of heat.

Any of you guys have and use this type of heater. It's strickly for outdoor use.

I saw a few of the small portable catalytic heaters that use the smaller propane tanks but they only put out about 1000 BTU's of heat and that would not keep me warm out in an open boat.

I am thinking about getting a plastic milk crate that would hold the 20lb propane tank and keep it from tipping over. Then I could put this thing right behind my front pedistal seat and it would put the heat right under where I am sitting. LOL That should help keep my feet and my hands warm when needed. A 20 lb propane tank would last about 18 hours on low settings and about 12 hours on the highest setting. This circular thing is about 18" in diameter and about 2" to 4" thick or deep. It sits about 6" above the top of the Propane tank and is mounted with a value and some 1/2" OD copper tubing. I am just going by the picture on the front of the box as I didn't open the box up and look at the thing closely. I figured I would ask around to see if anyone has tried these heaters and to get some feedback before I laid any money down to buy one.

Any help or suggestions about these propane catalytic heaters would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Moose1am; 12-21-2004 at 10:35 PM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I have one for the 20 lb tank that I use in my shop for heat. Works great. Shop is 12 x 14 uninsulated. When outside temp was in the teens i had to open the door as it got to hot even on the low setting. I don't know much about the heaters that use the small torch type tanks.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Default Heaters

I use a Mr Buddy Heater, they are safe for indoor or outdoor use, as they have a low ox. shut off. They can be used with the small tanks, or with the larger tanks by using a separate hose. They radiate heat out the front, keeping the heat source low. I would think those sunflower type which install on top of a big tank would have the heat source too high to be beneficial unless you had a top over it to hold the heat in. The Mr Buddy also has 2 different heat settings.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you mean too talk and not too high a temp reading? My boat has a raised platform where the seat is mounted. The tank could set down on the floor right by my raised platform and the seat. So the bottom of the seat would be about level with the heat source. I would be about 1 ft away or could move the propane tank back further to the rear of the boat if it got too hot. I can move it up to within about 1 ft at the closest. I would be facing away from the heat source so the heat would be at my back. That way the wind would blow the heat towards me not away. I would fish with my back into the wind. I would have to anchor the boat at the back end which is not a problem if the winds are not too brisk. I don't like to fish in the wind anyway.

I assume you were talkinga about the height of the heat unit on top of the propane tank. If not then I am off base sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback
    I use a Mr Buddy Heater, they are safe for indoor or outdoor use, as they have a low ox. shut off. They can be used with the small tanks, or with the larger tanks by using a separate hose. They radiate heat out the front, keeping the heat source low. I would think those sunflower type which install on top of a big tank would have the heat source too high to be beneficial unless you had a top over it to hold the heat in. The Mr Buddy also has 2 different heat settings.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default Too tall

Yes, that's what I meant, height vrs temp. Sounds like with your setup, the height of the unit wouldn't matter as you are raised above the tank. Nice thing about the Mr Buddy, is that they are much more versatile and can be used indoors in case of a power failure or furnace problem. I bought mine for use in my tent, but it works great in the boat. I have a stand up top and side curtains and with it sitting in the walkthru area of the windshield, it really does a nice job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    Catalytic Heaters and Propane Tanks. I was at the store yesterday and was looking at these things. One is circular in shape and mounts on top of a 20 lb propane tanke. It radiates the heat outwards and puts out about 10,000 BTU's of heat.

Any of you guys have and use this type of heater. It's strickly for outdoor use.

I saw a few of the small portable catalytic heaters that use the smaller propane tanks but they only put out about 1000 BTU's of heat and that would not keep me warm out in an open boat.

I am thinking about getting a plastic milk crate that would hold the 20lb propane tank and keep it from tipping over. Then I could put this thing right behind my front pedistal seat and it would put the heat right under where I am sitting. LOL That should help keep my feet and my hands warm when needed. A 20 lb propane tank would last about 18 hours on low settings and about 12 hours on the highest setting. This circular thing is about 18" in diameter and about 2" to 4" thick or deep. It sits about 6" above the top of the Propane tank and is mounted with a value and some 1/2" OD copper tubing. I am just going by the picture on the front of the box as I didn't open the box up and look at the thing closely. I figured I would ask around to see if anyone has tried these heaters and to get some feedback before I laid any money down to buy one.

Any help or suggestions about these propane catalytic heaters would be appreciated.
    You need to send this to Rango on the NC Board - he has a heater on the beast and the large tank - as well as everything else you can imagine - he cooks full meals on board his vessel
    crap-king
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use the coleman Pro Cat that uses the 16 oz. tank. I carry extra tanks. It has electonic ignition and battery fan. A tank last about eight hours. I tight line in the front of a bass boat. It is not like being at home, but it is stable and eight hours is enough cold weather for me at one time.

Post Thanks / Like

I will have to check out those Mr Buddies. Where did you find it or buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback
    Yes, that's what I meant, height vrs temp. Sounds like with your setup, the height of the unit wouldn't matter as you are raised above the tank. Nice thing about the Mr Buddy, is that they are much more versatile and can be used indoors in case of a power failure or furnace problem. I bought mine for use in my tent, but it works great in the boat. I have a stand up top and side curtains and with it sitting in the walkthru area of the windshield, it really does a nice job.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

There was a boat that caught fire, burned and sank on the lake I often fish on. It was in the summer, so propane wasn't involved, but a person needs to take care using propane on a boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mr Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    I will have to check out those Mr Buddies. Where did you find it or buy it?
    Gander Mtn sells them, that's where I got mine. Also that that big box store that's making headlines here sells them. Probably Bass Pro or Cabelas too. My Sunday newspaper had an ad from Gander selling them for $79.95, which is what I paid. I'm pretty sure the one's that go on top of a tank, the Mr Heater, and the Heater Cooker are all made by the same company that makes the Mr Buddy, Paulin, I think is the name of the manufacturer. Here's the Bass Pro # $79.99 38-670-650-00 PORTABLE HEATER -
    $14.99 38-670-715-01 HOSE ASSEMBLY
    Order from them and crappie.com gets a kick back.
    Last edited by Shellback; 12-19-2004 at 05:43 PM. Reason: add info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast