Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Location,location,and location

Abra Cadabra Guest

Talking Location,location,and location

I have never seriously crappie fished. Ive figured out where bass hand out, but having a hard time finding crappie. Can someone tell me there seasonal movements, what cover or structure they prefer, what kind of baits to use? Also can someone recommend a book or magazine that really helps beginners learn quickly on finding this fish? All help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Wisdom

I recommend the book called "Crappie Wisdom".
    It covers just about everthing there is to know about crappie fishing everywhere and anytime of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Abra Cadabra
    I have never seriously crappie fished. Ive figured out where bass hand out, but having a hard time finding crappie. Can someone tell me there seasonal movements, what cover or structure they prefer, what kind of baits to use? Also can someone recommend a book or magazine that really helps beginners learn quickly on finding this fish? All help would be appreciated.
    Regards,

Moose1am

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation getting started -

AC - you're right ... location, location, location ... key element in finding Crappie, and thus upping your odds of catching some. You're also correct in that it would take a "book" to discuss all your questions. But, here's a little primer to get you started ......... Crappie come in two species - White Crappie and Black Crappie. White Crappie prefer warm, shallow, murky waters and wood - Black Crappie prefer cool, deeper, clear water and weeds. Waters with both species will find them using whatever cover is available, if their preferred cover/conditions aren't readily available. Generally they are in water depths that offer low light conditions, comfortable temps, cover, and a foodsource nearby.
    Think of them as "bass" of a different shape, that prefer smaller offerings & slower presentations. Small jigs, spinners, and live offerings are some of the baits you may want to try.
    Here's a website that you may find interesting and informative ... especially since it deals with "your" state's waters (whichever state you live in): www.gameandfish.about.com --- look for the "where to go (pick a state)" link and find your state. That will bring up articles pertaining to your home waters. Or pick the state that you are interested in going to, and check out the articles on the Crappie waters there. Also look right under that link, at the "fishing library" link ... pull up "crappie/panfish" and check out those articles on the various tips/tactics/methods/etc.
    Books can be found on the "old" Crappie.com site ..... www.crappie.com/links.html -- Bill Dance and Al Lindner have good ones ... and purchasing them from the site will help support Crappie.com !!

You may also want to keep reading the posts here and on the old board (for as long as it remains usable) ... and look thru the "Articles, Tips and Techniques" section of the old www.crappie.com website. There's some good stuff to read/print off there, too !!

Welcome aboard and ..........luck2ya ............cp

Post Thanks / Like

Also.......There's a magazine called "Crappie World", which you can subscribe to or you can also get them at a Wal-mart near you. The magazine comes out 4 times a year for each season, Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter. The magazine has helped me catch more crappie and understand their habitats and seasonal movements. The book "Crappie Wisdom" is a great read too, like Moose1am has pointed out. Welcome to Crappie.com, where you'll also learn some pointers and ideas from all of your crappie fishing buddies.

Abra Cadabra Guest

I appreciate everyones help and advice, and Im looking forward to this message board. Also looking forward to catching some crappie! ABRA CADABRA