Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Winter Tips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Winter Tips

If you own a Vector Smart Battery Charger or something similar be sure to let the battery warm up before you try to charge it up. Frozen batteries won't charge well. Water must be liquid to conduct the charger electrons. So bring your unit inside and let it warm up for a few hours and then try to charge it.

I got a scare to day when I brought my new Vector Jumper battery/charger inside and tried to charge it up. I got an F2 fault reading and thought that I was going to have to take the unit back. I searched though my receipts and found the orignal receipt and was ready to take it back when I decided to read the manual once more. There I found that you are not suppose to charge a frozen battery. LOL Well my unit had been out in the truck all night. It may have been too cold to accept a charge or for the electronic charger system to function. So I got the hair drying out and warmed the battery up for a while. After about 30 minute the unit finally started to accept the change. I didn't have to charge it up very much because it was already showing a full charge on the diode lights on the vectors front panel.

I got the unit to start accepting some charge at about 1 or 2 amp/hours. But since the battery was already fully charged up it didn't take but 10 minutes to have the display reading FUL meaning that the battery was fully charged up.

I paid almost 80 bucks for this darn thing in Sept and was not about to have it fail me now.

Winter time is the time to have a spare battery ready to charge or jump your vehicles battery or your boats battery if that needs it.

It's getting pretty cold now and it got down well below freezing last night. I think it got down to 17 to 19 deg F last night and it's cold today.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    If you own a Vector Smart Battery Charger or something similar be sure to let the battery warm up before you try to charge it up. Frozen batteries won't charge well. Water must be liquid to conduct the charger electrons. So bring your unit inside and let it warm up for a few hours and then try to charge it.

I got a scare to day when I brought my new Vector Jumper battery/charger inside and tried to charge it up. I got an F2 fault reading and thought that I was going to have to take the unit back. I searched though my receipts and found the orignal receipt and was ready to take it back when I decided to read the manual once more. There I found that you are not suppose to charge a frozen battery. LOL Well my unit had been out in the truck all night. It may have been too cold to accept a charge or for the electronic charger system to function. So I got the hair drying out and warmed the battery up for a while. After about 30 minute the unit finally started to accept the change. I didn't have to charge it up very much because it was already showing a full charge on the diode lights on the vectors front panel.

I got the unit to start accepting some charge at about 1 or 2 amp/hours. But since the battery was already fully charged up it didn't take but 10 minutes to have the display reading FUL meaning that the battery was fully charged up.

I paid almost 80 bucks for this darn thing in Sept and was not about to have it fail me now.

Winter time is the time to have a spare battery ready to charge or jump your vehicles battery or your boats battery if that needs it.

It's getting pretty cold now and it got down well below freezing last night. I think it got down to 17 to 19 deg F last night and it's cold today.
    This South Louisiana boy has never in his life heard of a frozen battery. (LOL)
    I never thought that could happen! Thanks for the info as it is getting down into the twenties this week in Louisiana.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

It may be that they mean when it gets too cold the electronic circuit board inside the Vector Unit won't work. I do know that I got an F2 fault reading on the display when I first tried to charge the battery pack back up. I was getting mad at first as I just bought this darn thing a couple of months ago. I expect to get three years use out of this at least. Now when they start using the Sprial Bound Cell Technology like they use in the Optima Batteries it should last twice as long or 6 years. Also the Optima Batteries are suppose to hold a full charge for over a year. Regular batteries are suppose to be recharged once every month ... I think.... Which was why I was trying to charge it up. It's been about a month since I last used it for cleaning any fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon
    This South Louisiana boy has never in his life heard of a frozen battery. (LOL)
    I never thought that could happen! Thanks for the info as it is getting down into the twenties this week in Louisiana.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    It may be that they mean when it gets too cold the electronic circuit board inside the Vector Unit won't work. I do know that I got an F2 fault reading on the display when I first tried to charge the battery pack back up. I was getting mad at first as I just bought this darn thing a couple of months ago. I expect to get three years use out of this at least. Now when they start using the Sprial Bound Cell Technology like they use in the Optima Batteries it should last twice as long or 6 years. Also the Optima Batteries are suppose to hold a full charge for over a year. Regular batteries are suppose to be recharged once every month ... I think.... Which was why I was trying to charge it up. It's been about a month since I last used it for cleaning any fish.
    howdy; moose1am

how do you use a battery to clean a fish? i mean which edge do ya sharpen? gawd, you probably got wrists thick as coffee cans to be able to hold the fish with one hand and fillet it with the battery in the other. hate to think what you'd do to someones hand when you shakehands. or do you just drop the battery on the fish? that would tenderize it at the same time , but would be awful messy wouldn't it. then ya gotta pick all the guts out. that would be really messy. so how do ya clean a fish wit a battery???

have a good day. tarfu. :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

LOL

Well it's not easy mate. First you have to hook up the 12volt DC electric filet carving knife to the 12 volt outlet on the jumper/starter device. Then it works a whole lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by tarfu
    howdy; moose1am

how do you use a battery to clean a fish? i mean which edge do ya sharpen? gawd, you probably got wrists thick as coffee cans to be able to hold the fish with one hand and fillet it with the battery in the other. hate to think what you'd do to someones hand when you shakehands. or do you just drop the battery on the fish? that would tenderize it at the same time , but would be awful messy wouldn't it. then ya gotta pick all the guts out. that would be really messy. so how do ya clean a fish wit a battery???

have a good day. tarfu. :rolleyes:
    Regards,

Moose1am