Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How would you fish this lake?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How would you fish this lake?

http://www.polk.wateratlas.usf.edu/u...ymetry_613.pdf
    http://www.polk.wateratlas.usf.edu/l...bodyatlas=lake
    There is no structure, no brushpiles and very little submergent vegetation. There are some docks and cattails in about 2 feet of water. The bottom is soft sand or muck. IM trying to locate a place to set up but I cant find anything with calling power. It seems like a vast aquatic desert. The water is fertile and full of shad. I think that this is an untapped, overlooked crappie gold mine. I just have to figure it out. How would you fish it?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb no bigger than it is .....

Quote Originally Posted by slimecoat
    There is no structure, no brushpiles and very little submergent vegetation. There are some docks and cattails in about 2 feet of water. The bottom is soft sand or muck. IM trying to locate a place to set up but I cant find anything with calling power. It seems like a vast aquatic desert. The water is fertile and full of shad. I think that this is an untapped, overlooked crappie gold mine. I just have to figure it out. How would you fish it?
    I'd probably troll it ... dragging 1/16oz marabou jigs or Roadrunners ... either in a zig-zag pattern (criss crossing the lake) or circling the lake contours (6ft depth range, then 8ft, then 10ft, then 12ft). I'd also take into consideration the quick dropping slopes sections ... and probably fan cast these two areas, sitting in the deeper water and casting to the shallows -- increasing my retrieve depth (by slowing my retrieve, or counting down) after each series of area covering casts. With no particular "holding" cover ... depth becomes the prime key. Wind waves, cloud cover, & drizzle rain should cause them to suspend a little shallower than during times of greater light penetration.
    I probably wouldn't even bother with the little lake, but that's just me .. LOL!! I'm more used to fishing lakes that have 14ft of water right next to the bank, rather than that depth being the deepest water, in the middle of the lake :p
    Looks like a real good place for a PVC condo :D (if it's legal to place one there) or even some of those Weezer "bucket full of rocks" 'stumps rows' .. LOL!!

Do you KNOW there are Crappie in there ... or are you just speculating that there SHOULD BE some in there .... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I never thought of trolling the contours. Thanks for the info. In this area this would be considered a fairly deep lake. I’m fairly certain that there are crappie here because it’s connected to several other lakes that have crappie. It’s definitely not a textbook lake.