Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More Chautauqua walleyes

Post Thanks / Like

Default More Chautauqua walleyes

Had a banner night tonight. 40 degrees, clear sky, full moon, lake was like glass. Stopped by the lake at dusk and took 5 casts and caught the middle fish in the pic below and left it on a stringer at the lake. I came back at midnight and caught 3 between 12 midnight and 1 am. Between 1 and 2:30 am I caught a walleye or got a hit on almost every cast then it slowed down till I left at about 3:15 am. All together I got 15-16 fish at every lenth between 23-28 inches. The 3 largest including the one I caught at dusk are in the pic. The 28 incher weighed 9.5 lb on my little cheap hand scale. Thats the one closest to my pole in the pic. I need to test that scale to see how accurate it is because most 28's I get are in the 8lb range. The middle one was just under 27 inches weighed at 8.5 and the smallest one was a bit over 26 inches and was between 7-8lbs. I live for nights like that in the fall. These fish are so thick, especially that football in the middle.

Last edited by GRIZZ; 11-06-2006 at 04:02 AM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats those are some hogs,you are a lucky man to have fish like that,i am wanting to learn more about walleye fishin but there aint many of em on my home lake.If it is not too much trouble could you explain in a little more detail on how you caught them etc.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Grizz, would have liked to have one of those for breakfast this morning....lol....We have some in the New River but I don't fish for them much anymore...Our state record is 15lb 13oz..May be off an oz or 2....You just can't get a better eating fish.....
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

That makes wish I was there to catch some like those. man there nice.
    Guess I will have to get out and catch some sauger and just let them work.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bugman
    Congrats those are some hogs,you are a lucky man to have fish like that,i am wanting to learn more about walleye fishin but there aint many of em on my home lake.If it is not too much trouble could you explain in a little more detail on how you caught them etc.
    Hey Bugman - I posted some pictures earlier and someone asked me the same question and I described in detail how I got them. Here is the link. http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=27588

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohRed
    That makes wish I was there to catch some like those. man there nice.
    Guess I will have to get out and catch some sauger and just let them work.
    Pete
    You have walleyes in Pickwick. I'm not sure where they are but I bet it shouldn't be hard to find, and I bet they get bigger than they do here.

Quote Originally Posted by DonG
    Hey Grizz, would have liked to have one of those for breakfast this morning....lol....We have some in the New River but I don't fish for them much anymore...Our state record is 15lb 13oz..May be off an oz or 2....You just can't get a better eating fish.....
    I'll tell you DonG that if the crappie fishing was what it used to be I wouldn't fish for walleyes as much as I do in the fall because first and formost I love crappie fishing, but this isn't a bad way to compensate myself for the decline in the crappie fishing in Chautauqua. One advantage the walleye has besides being the equal in eating quality to the crappie is that I can get single fillets off some of these fish that are big enough for a large meal for 2. The pics really don't do these walleyes justice they are such pigs. I see pics of walleyes caught from Lake Erie and those fish just don't compare to the bulk on the fish we get from Chautauqua and for just pure beauty.

One more thing guys. I realize I'm posting walleyes pics on the crappie forum, but hardly anyone goes to the walleye forum and since I havn't been able to post the nice slabby pics you guys can I need to brag about something. If you'd like me to move these posts to the walleye forum I will.

Post Thanks / Like

Caught a 29 incher tonight. Longest of the season, and it was 8 lbs. Didn't have my camera with me. I was shore fishing at dusk at Allegheny reservoir. Got a monster hit earlier. Could have been a muskie or northern, but it felt like a walleyes hit. I'll probably spend some time there during the next couple weeks. Allegheny reservoir has the potential for real monsters. A chance at 20 lbs especially this time of year, so that hit made me heart go pitter pat a little.

Quote Originally Posted by DonG
    Our state record is 15lb 13oz..May be off an oz or 2....You just can't get a better eating fish.....
    Both the NY and PA state records come from Allegheny reservoir - 16+ & 17+lbs. There was an article a few years back in InFisherman that put it on the list of lakes that could produce a 20+.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 11-20-2006 at 12:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Man,those are some great walleyes right there!

Something tells me i should be fishing for these guys up here at night...Man,makes me wish it wasn't so darn cold and i don't have any excuse to not go out tonight and get em'.Gotta wake up with my little guy tommorrow morning.I might just try to go out on thanksgiving weekend one night and try again.I know there's walleyes where i go,just haven't had my luck yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZ

I realize I'm posting walleyes pics on the crappie forum, but hardly anyone goes to the walleye forum and since I havn't been able to post the nice slabby pics you guys can I need to brag about something. If you'd like me to move these posts to the walleye forum I will.
    Hey GRIZZ:

Just keep posting your walleye pictures right here - not a problem at all. I for one really enjoy seeing them and reading your reports. Interest in crappie fishing is what brings us all together here but I doubt anyone here would be disappointed if they caught a real nice walleye.

I heard a report yesterday that some good walleye are being caught at the upper end of Greeson but don't know if I'll get a chance to go find them.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link Grizz it was a good read,more pics please if i cant catch em i at least like to see em.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Grizz I love it.
    Yes I catch a few walleye each year. But not enough.
    Guessing I need to learn more about them. I did find out that they do not like the current here like the sauger. But then again the bigger sauger here also do not like the current like the smaller ones .
    So its time to go to school this winter on them..
    Also a lot of guys here catch a walleye and thinks it a sauger. There was one last year with 2 over 5 lbs and he was so happy to have such big sauger. That is until I pointed out that they were walleye.Then he was still happy.

Are you fishing a gravel bar?
    Pete

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast