Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Trees At Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Default Christmas Trees At Shelbyville

I saw in the newspaper that they were lining up volunteers to place Christmas trees in Lake Shelbyville after Christmas. How many of you guys are going to help out? It seems like it would pay off in knowing some good areas to fish next summer. I plan on putting some structure out but it will be the lake I live on instead of Shelbyville. I think it would be time and effort well spent.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave - What type of structure are you going to use? I would think hard woods would be better than Christmas trees. I think the branches are too dense, they trap silt easily, and they deteriorate quickly. I squirrel hunt more than any other type of hunting but have never used a dog although I have watched hunting squirrel with dogs on T.V. Do you raise squirrel dogs to sell? I have had Brittany Spaniels for bird hunting but gave up bird hunting quite a few years ago.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

I for one will be out with them when they put trees out. Not only do you know where they are but usually they print off paper copy. Also get a lunch out of it.

I'll try to post the date usually late Feb or early March.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Ken, my front yard is full of hardwood trees right next to the lake, so finding the material to build good crappie condos is very easy for me. I have fished Christmas trees at Shelbyville and had good luck in the past and if I fished that lake more often, I would participate in putting out Christmas trees there.

I have Mt Curs I use for squirrel dogs. The ones I have weigh about 30#s (small dogs) and tree the squirrels and bark treed until I get there. It is not harvesting the squirrels that turns me on, it is training the squirrel dogs. I raise a litter of squirrel bred Mt Curs every 3-4 years. If you are interested in squirrel dogs, go to www.sqdog.com . I am Redtick on that board also. There is not enough birds to bird hunt anymore but there is pleny of squirrels. I harvest over 100 squirrels every year but most of my time is training squirrel dogs instead of srictly harvesting squirrels. A well trained squirrel dog brings $1000 up if you can find a good one for sale. I train squirrel dogs, beagles, and coon dogs. I do it as a hobby when it is too cold to fish. :D

PGottshall Guest

Too cold to fish? When's that? :p

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Paul - Do you do any ice fishing? When I lived in Pekin I use to fish Chautauqua Lake every weekend from when it opened to ice fishing until it was no longer safe. I broke through there one New Year's Day and went in up to my armpits. It was a long cold ride that 40 miles back home. I used to catch a lot of crappie there. One day I took 40 fish in 45 minutes - back in the late 60's. Also I use to drive up to Galena and Savannah and fish the back waters of the Mississippi which was also excellent fishing. I haven't iced fished in six or seven years but still have all my equipment so I may give it a try this year. Do you have any good public waters for ice fishing in your area?
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Too cold for fishing is called "hunting season". LOL. There is ice on the lake this morning but not near thick enough to walk on. My fur lined jock won't protect me enough to do much ice fishing. LOL

PGottshall Guest

Yes I love to ice fish. I had the boat out this weekend at Sanchris, & hope to be on the ice in central IL next weekend. Local lakes have skimmed over, & I hope this cold-snap fills 'em in.

I don't have any really good ice-fishing lakes in cental-IL. I know a couple ponds, where it's fun to take a kid & catch tons of 5-6" bluegills, or maybe a few catfish. I also fish Eureka lake, where I get a fair number of 7-8in Crappies, just because it's 10min away, & easy to hit for a couple hours after work.

I fished Chautauqua in the spring, but recall reading that the lake's closed throught December. There are some nice Crappies in there, so maybe I'll give it a shot.

I'd like to go to Galena to try the backwaters. It's quite a drive, & it can be frustrating fishing new water. Might be worth a shot.

Take care,
    Paul
    Last edited by PGottshall; 12-20-2004 at 11:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Paul - Chautauqua has been closed to ice fishing until January 1st ever since I can remember because of the waterfowl. I haven't fished it in 40 years but back in the 60's it was the best ice fishing for crappie in central Illinois. In fact, I may have a go at it up there this winter. As I remember, the fish were fairly nice - running 10 to 12 inches. It is about 100 miles one way from my house but it might be worth the drive. If you do go to Chautauqua and do any good drop me note.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieken
    Paul - Chautauqua has been closed to ice fishing until January 1st ever since I can remember because of the waterfowl. I haven't fished it in 40 years but back in the 60's it was the best ice fishing for crappie in central Illinois. In fact, I may have a go at it up there this winter. As I remember, the fish were fairly nice - running 10 to 12 inches. It is about 100 miles one way from my house but it might be worth the drive. If you do go to Chautauqua and do any good drop me note.
    Chautaauqua reopens for ice fishing Jan 15

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast