Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: very discouraged

Post Thanks / Like

Default very discouraged

it appears i may be missing out on catching fish because of the depths that ive been fishing.just got back from a trip and only caught 3 throw backs. the kicker is i ran into a guy i new on the boat ramp and he had 15 over 10 inches. he said he caught them between 6 and 8 feet deep(bait). last 2 trips i made i never went below 4 feet with mine and didnt catch anything to speak of. maybe some of you vets can tell me alittle about a typical scenario of finding the right depth to fish at. i have no electronic equipment so i may be at a disadvantage. particularly is there an average depth you start at . i usually use minnows but do try so jigs but havent had sucess at that either. i may just have to find a local pro to go and show me the ropes.

Post Thanks / Like

ya bama i know the feeling sucess comes slow sometime i would watch where everybody was fishing and try different depths
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

Post Thanks / Like

One good way to locate the right depth is trolling 1/32oz and 1/16oz. jigs around the grass where you get some depth changes along a shore line, maybe even off of a creek. Troll the different depths until you fins some hitting and keep going over that depth back and forth. Slow with you troll motor use the 1/32 oz. from 3' to 10' and if you find them over the 6' give some 1/16 oz a try.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

i know in the spring theyll go pretty shallow. but in the fall is it different? are there days when they will go shallow? or is maybe 3 feet plus the shallow as it gets?

Post Thanks / Like

sent you a pm

Post Thanks / Like

hey holler at me , i fish every weekend, fish at night every sat. i live in decatur (right down from you), id be glad to take you out with me...cant gurantee youll catch a limit but maybe we both can learn something new..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jhef
    hey holler at me , i fish every weekend, fish at night every sat. i live in decatur (right down from you), id be glad to take you out with me...cant gurantee youll catch a limit but maybe we both can learn something new..
    are you catching any at night on wheeler now? i've considered night fishing some on friday's after work, but never have done it in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

Default hey Bama....

Quote Originally Posted by bama647
    it appears i may be missing out on catching fish because of the depths that ive been fishing.just got back from a trip and only caught 3 throw backs. the kicker is i ran into a guy i new on the boat ramp and he had 15 over 10 inches. he said he caught them between 6 and 8 feet deep(bait). last 2 trips i made i never went below 4 feet with mine and didnt catch anything to speak of. maybe some of you vets can tell me alittle about a typical scenario of finding the right depth to fish at. i have no electronic equipment so i may be at a disadvantage. particularly is there an average depth you start at . i usually use minnows but do try so jigs but havent had sucess at that either. i may just have to find a local pro to go and show me the ropes.
    I set up several rods and wait for a bite, after a couple you can target a depth and make adjustments to the other rods. We use a depth finder too, that helps get you in the right neighborhood. We also drift for cats around here (SC) about 1-2' off the bottom.. Usually works real well.. In shallow waters I'll use A cork or bobber. Hope this helps... Bam..
    Last edited by bambam; 11-05-2006 at 08:03 PM. Reason: added text
    FIRST YA KILL IT, THEN YA EAT IT..:D
    Current Carolina Cup holders
    Current GA trophy holders
    BEWARE!! SC NIGHTSTALKER....

Post Thanks / Like

i have tried that to an extent problem is i dont have rod holders and have been fishing in a pretty good current so its hard to manage more than 1 pole.thanks for the tips maybe i should try some rod holers and alittle easier fishin hole.

Post Thanks / Like

Default current?

Get out of that current and find some slack deeper water pools.......if you ahve a vexilar or "flasher" use it, if not get one..............when you loctae them on your flasher, that eliminates the where??? Now the what, offer them glow jigs with plastic tails or small to medium emerald shiners on a glow jig hooked just behind the dorsal........stay over them and vertical jig thm {quietly} watch your flasher and your jig.....fish the top of the school, pulling fish off the top as opposed to going down into the school and disturbing it when you start yanking out fish. If they are moving and feeding stick with them with the flasher and keep your presentation options open until you hit the right offering, you'll be icing slabs in no time. My favorite this time of year is a small gold hali tipped with a whiskered Loby or a Maki flea........they can't resist!...............LOBY
    Mike "LOBY" Lobenstein
    www.lobybaits.com
    2006 N.A.I.F.C. Qualifier
    AUSTIN RODS PRO STAFF
    X-TREMEICE TOURNAMENTS
    MAKIPLASTICS DISTRIBUTION
    catch-n.com Pro staff
    catch-n kids staffer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast