Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Patoka Lake Today

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Patoka Lake Today

Drove around part of Patoka today to check it out and Lick Fork Launch was open and free of ice all the way out as far as you could see. The long bay across from it running east was ice covered next to hwy 164Name:  010 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 2541
Size:  43.6 KBName:  011 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 753
Size:  41.1 KBName:  012 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 2412
Size:  44.9 KB with open spots in it. Next couple of days and it would be gone. Newton Stewart was free of ice and launchable. Osborne was launchable and water clarity was blue/green. When I got to Walls, the water was muddy stained and lake is dropping as they are letting out at the dam. But the mud line doesn't go down all the way to Osborne launch. Lake has a lot of patchy ice in the back of the bays, here and there. Didn't see a boat on it anywhere. Painter Creek launch was free of ice for 50' and you couldn't go anywhere after using the launch. From the Hwy bridge of 145 theres about 700 yds of ice still locking Painter up going towards the main lake. It should be gone in the next couple of days with the sun and wind I am thinking.

First 2 pics are Lick Fork and the water temp I got was 37. Last 2 pics were Walls with the mud stain, and got 39 for a temp. Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes filletfetish, Moveon LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

cevans, you have provided a great service to those chomping at the bit. Plenty of sun and warmth...should kill a bunch of the ice the next few days. Me... I am looking at my seed catalogs, and eating my tenderloin sandwich , lol.

HHD
    GnawMart Tenderloin Sandwich Prostaff, Gnawbone Indiana
    Likes Moveon LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Go get on it

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update cevans!!

Post Thanks / Like

WeatherBug hit 50 in Jasper today, Monday/Tues, could see low 60's before the next cold front, maybe snow storm again next Wed/Thrs. I know they are pulling (Patoka River below dam is bank full) to get the Res. down for spring rains coming, but it will stabilize before the 1st Crappie Tourney Mar. 22. Lots of snow still on the north hillsides and ice on all the rock escarpments feeding into the lake. That will be gone also as most snow is already gone. Water temp will come up before the 22nd also. We dodged all the bullets of bad weather most of the winter here in southern Indiana, so Dogwood and Patoka are open now to fish and personally, going to hit both and will keep on posting.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention...small buds on the maple trees as the wife and I found some. Spring is coming slowly but surely.

Post Thanks / Like

great news

Post Thanks / Like

Fished Kings from the bank, nada. Several boats were launching at Osbourne. Also tried Walls lake, nothing there either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raporter View Post
    Fished Kings from the bank, nada. Several boats were launching at Osbourne. Also tried Walls lake, nothing there either.
    Dang! What were you using and casting? Can't wait for it to warm up...thinking about tues trying it myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Small jigs tipped with nibbles or Gulp Alive under a bobber. Plan on putting the boat in next week and checking some deep brush and beaver dens.