Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help deceiding on a rod rack

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help deceiding on a rod rack

Ok, I have done a search and have gone through 11 pages of the main forum and I can't find what I need to know. I am getting a new rod rack for spider rigging and I am looking at either a Hi Teck or a Cumberland 360. The problem I am having is the Hy tec needs a wrench to adjust and the Cumberland has a T handle so no wrench needed. Has any one used the Cumberland and does it tighten and hold well? Thanks in advance. Bo

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have Hi-Teks and I love them....tried ( wasted my money) on several different kinds before I got the Hi-Teks.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

they make knobs that fit the hi tec..
    DEAD AS FRIED CHICKEN
    Likes indianachinker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 360's and really like them. had one problem with a weld breaking when i first got them, but they took care of that in no time and have had no problem after that. I have never seen the Hi Tek onces, but I have been tossing the idea of trying the Spyder Lock ones, they look really nice and I think I may like their base that attaches to the boat better then the 360 ones. When fishing in the summer, I do it a lot barefoot on my front deck, i am always worried I am gonna jab a toe into the Cumberland base, hasn't happened yet, but just waiting for the day it does. That is probably the only thing I am not 100% sold on when it comes to my 360's

Post Thanks / Like

I've got 360's they work fine except for a couple of issues that I don't like about them but not enough that I wouldn't buy them again. I haven't used but I have seen and held them and my next set that I will ever buy is the Spyder Lock . The adjustments on them are like nothing you have ever seen before and when you get them set were you want them they will stay. I would have to say which ever of the major brands out there that you buy, they will do what you want them to do and you will be happy with them. Its no more than a ford chevy thing.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have Hi-Teks and purchased knobs to replace the bolts ... no need for wrench to adjust rod holder clamps or the angle of the top bar, though I do still use a wrench to tighten them down to the base.

I don't much care for T-handles on the rod holder clamps, especially when they're positioned between the holder & the rod handle, as it makes it more difficult to reach between them to grab the rod or change the rod angle while the rod is still in the holder. The Cumberland 360 has the T-handle "underneath" ... but, depending on how the T-handles are made, they can "strip out" or split open from excess tightening.

The C shape of the Hi-Tek holder clamps allows me to put round knobs in the place of the bolts, and put the knob heads "underneath" ... where I can adjust the angle, while the pole is still in the holder.

Works for me ... your mileage may vary.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Boa3--take a look at the spyderloks--you can find the link in the member sponsor classifieds-I have 2 sets of the 4 rod holders on the front of my boat. For me, they work perfect. Everything about them is adjustable. No wrenches needed.
    I doubt you find another brand that is higher quality.
    That being said--the other brands have good products also.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Spider-Locks they are the most adjusable and like Joey said they are not going to move once set. Stout enough for large cats if you do any of that. Can't move if you pull off the side of the boat.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I have the HiTek and I like it. I've used several brands, but I like the HiTek the most.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    I have Hi-Teks and purchased knobs to replace the bolts ... no need for wrench to adjust rod holder clamps or the angle of the top bar, though I do still use a wrench to tighten them down to the base.

I don't much care for T-handles on the rod holder clamps, especially when they're positioned between the holder & the rod handle, as it makes it more difficult to reach between them to grab the rod or change the rod angle while the rod is still in the holder. The Cumberland 360 has the T-handle "underneath" ... but, depending on how the T-handles are made, they can "strip out" or split open from excess tightening.

The C shape of the Hi-Tek holder clamps allows me to put round knobs in the place of the bolts, and put the knob heads "underneath" ... where I can adjust the angle, while the pole is still in the holder.

Works for me ... your mileage may vary.

... cp
    .....EXACTLY HI-Teks is the way to go..no doubt
    YOU CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS...BUT YOU CAN BUY FISHING GEAR.....AND THAT'S KINDA THE SAME THING.....
    Unknown.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast