Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Nymphs.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Nymphs.

Anyone use Nymphs? I catch MAD crappie and bluegill on them. I go to the shoreline, brush some of the water plants to the shore(dont worry i put the back) and dig through them to see if there are any nymphs, or other creatures, ex. freshwater shrimp and worms. I bait them through the tail or thorax, so they stay alive, and within 30 seconds of dropping in the water, BAM!! Fish on!! If you already haven't, try it out!:D
    Peace be the fishing!:)

Post Thanks / Like

nice tip, nothing like all natural bait

Post Thanks / Like

Yup!
    Peace be the fishing!:)

Post Thanks / Like

Talking #10 black Flashback Marabou Damsel Nymph

:D

Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Robert -- that's a nymph only a fish could love. Never caught crappie on one but catch a lot bluegill (and everything else that passes by) on them. Also use a larger version of the sowbug that is so popular for trout here in Arkansas.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Nymphs

I've caught most everything on the MDN but I haven't caught Specks on it yet. I haven't had a great deal of luck on Dragonfly nymph patterns and am still searching for one that works on a consistent basis so I'm going to try out yet another Dragonfly nymph that I just tied up in a size 8. Probably use it (its really a floating surface fly) on a sinking line so the nymph is free swimming above the sinking line. Its a version of a Skip Morris Predator.

BTW, I don't use sowbugs but I do like to use that Rainey's Beadback Scud because that little scud is very effective for me. I don't have a photo of one of mine yet but the pattern is on FAOL and I think I posted the link here for it a while back. I just use clear glass beads with tan Antron (nylon yarn).
    Last edited by dixieangler; 11-07-2006 at 10:11 AM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Probably use it (its really a floating surface fly) on a sinking line so the nymph is free swimming above the sinking line.
    Well I did and it didn't work. I need to try it on a fast sink tip rather than my slow sink full sinking line.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Bump. I should have posted fly pattern links for those flies I mentioned in this post so here they are. Sorry, folks.

I use black marabou, silver beading wire rib, iridescent or pearl tinsel wingcase, and black metal beadchain eyes rather than the standard pattern shown below. I get different sink rates by changing the eyes on this pattern. Metal beadchain sinks the fastest (lead dumbbell eyes sink the fastest actually but I don't usually use them), glass beadchain (using two glass beads and burnt monofiliment on the ends) sinks slower, and either premade plastic beadchain or burnt monofiliment for the eyes sink the slowest.
    Marabou Damsel Nymph

I just use clear glass beads with tan Antron (nylon yarn) for this one.
    Rainy's Bead Back Scud
    Last edited by dixieangler; 02-25-2007 at 09:36 AM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Sure do. Live and artificial. Many nymph patterns work great. Try to find some tough wire patterns, so the bluegill or your hemostats don't trash the artifical nymph so quickly.
    Last edited by tankcreekpanfisher; 03-02-2007 at 12:42 AM.