Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Thinking of long lining this weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thinking of long lining this weekend

I'm thinking of trying to long line some in this power plant lake I'm fishing. Fish are about6- 10 foot deep in 15-20. Some are shallower along the edges. I have 3 pole holders on each side in the back I use for drift fishing for catfish. Any quick and easy advice to try this? They have been roaming in large schools along the banks, so this should be a good strategy.

Post Thanks / Like

I have different length poles from very short to 16' trolling rods. I just want to try it and not sure how to set up my bait with what size jig head, 1 or 2 jigs on each line, and how far back to cast. Just general reccomendations would be appreciated. I have a couple poles with 4-6 lb line but others I will have to use the 12 that I use for jigging, I don't want to re-rig everything just to try it.

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just give it a normal cast for beginners and slow slow troll, .5 to no more than 1.0 mph, the slower the better as cold as it is. Start out with different size jigs and colors. I like to use Road Runner heads with the spinners on them mixed with different colors till I see what they are hitting on. Vary your speed at times or maneuver the boat in and out from the structure your running over as well. It will speed up and slow down the baits as your moving and doing slow turns. Experiment till you find them. Trolling can cover a lot of ground and area. The reality of trolling is, you can use about any rod and line for starters till you develop your preverance of rods and reels and line size. Mix the different weights of baits as well for starters. The lighter weight jigs will run shallower than the heavier weighted baits. I mix 1/16 and 1/8 all the time with the spread of the baits at the back of the boat till I find them before changing to what I think is hot.
    Last edited by cevans; 03-06-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

use 1/16 oz jigs. throw back about 40 feet if fish are 6 to 10 deep vary speed from .8 to 1.2 to find what they want when you go into shallow water just speed up a bit. if you find all the fish shallow just shorten your cast and go a little faster and you could also change to 1/32 oz jigs. Use darker colors in am and have a pole or two that you periodically change colors on. If you get hit consistently on one color change some other poles to that color. GOOD LUCK
    Likes burdawg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^^^what he said!!!!
    "Stumphunter's Crappie Jigs" Prostaff

Post Thanks / Like

O.k. thanks a lot guys I wasn't sure of jig head size or speed. The lake is actually a power plant lake and lake temps are 57 degrees, so they are pretty active.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Just remember speed , jig weight , jig body size, and line diameter all effect your fishing depth good luck. Some here drag 1/8 oz leadheaded plastic baits with good luck on 10lb line.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Need to throw a couple 1/32 or 1/64 in on the mix. Fish may be shallower than you think

Post Thanks / Like

Lock your line on your reel when you find the bite so you can replicate with the same amount of line out each time. That and maintaining the right speed - I usually start 0.8 and go from there depending on what graph shows me. Since you will have multiple rods out, work as much of the water column as you can.
    A man remembered never dies.

Post Thanks / Like

running a s pattern will raise jigs and lower at same time it can tell u a lot.