Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about setting condos

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about setting condos

I've been reading about the condos but haven't made any yet. My question:
    When you drop them, do you have to lower them with a rope to keep them from falling over, or is the weight of the bucket or concrete block enough to insure they remain upright once they hit the bottom. Or does it even matter what position they land in?

Post Thanks / Like

I think it all depends on where you put them and how deep. If it's 10' or less and on a flat bottom you could probably just get them started down in good shape and turn 'em loose. Most everything I've sunk is in deeper water (18' to 25') and I lower them with a rope. For me there's too much time, effort and money involved not to make absolutely certain the condos are sitting like you want them. Happy sinking.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

The last ones I put out made with 5 gal. buckets to make sure they stayed upright I drilled 4 holes around the bottom edge and placed peices of round stakes about 14-18" long to form a cross. It worked very well I have always wondered if some of the early ones that were dropped didnt fall over running over them with a depth finder it just didnt look right.

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea, Greenwing. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I always drill a hole in the top of the bucket on both sides that way you can run a rope though both sides an lower the condo down an then pull the rope up. my condos always stand up .good luck

Post Thanks / Like

The TWRA puts a 20 ounce or 2 liter bottle in the tops of the trees they sink around here. The bottles definately work from what I've seen.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing you can try I have done is to use a rope to lower it but hold both ends of the rope so when you get it were you want it you dont just have to leave 20 foot of rope tied to the condo.

In additon I have never found the bucket stlye condo not to sink like a parachute. That is ones that have the full tops and not a stake bucket style condo.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of great ideas -- I do appreciate the feedback! Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

I make mine with pvc in buckets and just throw em out. I've thown them out sideways before an they immediatly straiten out and go down fast. I think the harder they hit the bottom the better they will seat. Because the pvc is hard to detect until algae starts to grow, it probably won't get upset by another angler before it gets silted in on the bottom good. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

i built mine with concrete blocks and made the pvc about 4' long......all of mine are standing up i just tossed them overboard and then jumped in with scuba gear to make sure i did not have any on there sides

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast