Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing with planer boards

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing with planer boards

I would like to know some more about this topic. It looks like a very effective way to catch crappie. If there has already been a thread on this on the past please let me know and I won't waste everyone's time with the same questions. If not and people have some knowledge on this topic I would love to learn more about it. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

i bought some to try out this summer,they say its a learning process.if u search on youtube u can find a few videos to get ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard.

Go to the Google custom shearch window in the upper right corner and put "fishing with planer boards". I think you will find what you are looking for. Good luck.
    THE Nimrod Kid

Post Thanks / Like

My experience with planer boards started long ago on lake Erie trolling for walleye.......past few years i have used mini planer boards when trolling crankbaits for crappie, look at the Church tackle co. tx-6 magnum mini planer for crappie use, they are the perfect size......planer boards are pretty simple honestly

1) let the amount of line out you would like the lure to run behind the boat

2) attach the planer board and let line out to run the board out the side of the boat, the more line you let out the further from the boat the board (in turn your bait) runs away from the boat

(ex I may run a crank 60ft behind the boat attach the board and run it 45ft out the side of the boat, next one i may run 80 ft behind the boat attach the board and go 30 ft out the sideof the boat.....and so on)

Some times with walleye and almost always with crappie you will have to give your rod a sharp snap to release the front clip of the planer board and allow the board to freely slide up and down the line as you play the fish. Or reel the board in and take it off before fighting the fish the rest of the way in, have to be careful not to let slack in the line doing this though

Main benefit to planers is to cover alot of h2o in a single pass......can also run alot of rods of the same length and have your baits spread apart......also if the fish are spooky you can fish way away from the boat.......

Basic tips...... Use a swivel with a leader to your bait to stop the planer board from hitting the fish.....run your deeper lines cloer to the boat and go shallower with each line you set out further from the boat for several reasons ( shallower fish will be spooked by the boat compared to deeper fish.......if you hook one on your outside line its easier to clear the inside lines as you land the fish....etc etc ) once you figure a pattern and all your lines are basically same length behind the boat clearinglines becomes a little different but not real hard.......planer boards require a little speed to pull correctly........

Im no pro but if i can help pm me ill answer anything i know how, good fishing and God belss
    Likes CrappieFlopper, Tom 513 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

do I need all new rods? I'm using 16ft pst's, will these rods hand the extra drag of the boards

its just not in the budget at this time for a new mess of rods, I'd also have to add on to the garage to be able to store them lol, there must be a hundred out there now lol

Post Thanks / Like

Jeepguy gave an excellent response. I'd like to add that I prefer to have pinch pad clips at both ends of the board, and bring the board in to release it, rather than have only a release clip on the front and the board slide down to a swivel and bead. Just checked the board he recommended. I see they don't have a rear pinch pad. So disregard my post if using Church Tackle boards.

Post Thanks / Like

Should handle the boards i posted about, bigger boards will get dicy.....i use crappiemaxx tight line specials with okuma line counters strictly to pull cranks and they handle the small boards i use, i would suspect the BnMs are comparable
    Quote Originally Posted by short grub View Post
    do I need all new rods? I'm using 16ft pst's, will these rods hand the extra drag of the boards

its just not in the budget at this time for a new mess of rods, I'd also have to add on to the garage to be able to store them lol, there must be a hundred out there now lol

Post Thanks / Like

My bigger boards i run at Erie wally fishing have the duel clips......ive used em both ways and honestly am indifferent........ All the smaller boards seem to have the single clip setup

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
    Jeepguy gave an excellent response. I'd like to add that I prefer to have pinch pad clips at both ends of the board, and bring the board in to release it, rather than have only a release clip on the front and the board slide down to a swivel and bead. Just checked the board he recommended. I see they don't have a rear pinch pad. So disregard my post if using Church Tackle boards.

Post Thanks / Like

I run the Offshore boards with both clips. Mainly due to the fact I don't have to fool with a swivel, bead and leader before the bait. I'm going to try the boards you mentioned and just ordered 4 of the boards from Franksgreatoutdoors. They are on sale for $13.99 each! How long a leader do you prefer ahead of the bait to stop the board?
    Last edited by Shellback; 03-05-2014 at 09:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

This is very helpful information. I really appreciate it! I don't know where I have been all these years but I am sure glad I found this site. I really enjoy reading all the helpful posts from people that genuinely want to help others. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast