Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: So many molds and sizes how do you choose?

Post Thanks / Like

Default So many molds and sizes how do you choose?

Since I've started shooting my own plastic baits about a year ago I have seen many different mold mfgs and different sizes. How do some of you go about choosing your bait molds and sizes. I'm considering purchasing a small fry mold. But I can not decide if I should get the 2.5" or 2.25" version . What are your thoughts on this particular mold and sizes?

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 1.75" and the 2.5" and really like the extra body in the 2.5". The 2.25 body is the same as the 1.75" with a little more tail. If you are looking at doing some laminates, the 2.5 is a little more forgiving and easier to work with on split colors. As for fish catching, they all do. I really like the 2.5 and favorite it over the smaller models, but that's just me. I think RonDon might have the same molds as what I have and I think he likes the 2.5 real well too.
    Likes softball dad LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Get the 2.5"! Its not too big. I would start with a 2.5" and down the road add the 1.75" to your stash. Pass on the 2.25". I really don't care for that one.

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I for one always stuck to each and a half and 2 inch plastic baits mainly for carppies it is a hard decision to make when you are looking at molds being that I do sell plastic baits and most of our downfalls but if they are for your own personal use go with were your heart goes in what looks good to you I have over 100 molds and I love every one of them each one of them are different in every way they all have their own identity you will find out by working with each and every one of them whatever you do don't not get addicted it is very expensive.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

I see you are from Mo. So any size is an option. The Small fry molds are very good. If you primarily crappie fish I would opt for the 2.5 Inch. If you like bream fishing more I would go with the 1.75 Inch. Another alternative is / are the 1.75 inch and 2.5 inch carrots. The 1.75 being a tail mold for the 2.5 inch if you like two color baits. Also the carrots are .3125 diameter and the fries are .25 inch based baits. Any of these molds will catch crappie or decent bream.

Post Thanks / Like

I was leaning towards the 2.5 inch prior to the original postbut now with all the feedback I'm definitely purchasing the 2.5 inch mold. thanks everyone much appreciated