Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Technique for season

Post Thanks / Like

Default Technique for season

As a rule of thumb what technique should I focus on for each time of year?

Shooting, jigging, trolling...

I know it can and will change often but since I'm new to focusing on crappie the information I get from whoever will reply will give me good info to build my knowledge on.

Post Thanks / Like

I cast jigs year round. There is no "season" for it, IMO.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Inthehollar View Post
    As a rule of thumb what technique should I focus on for each time of year?

Shooting, jigging, trolling...

I know it can and will change often but since I'm new to focusing on crappie the information I get from whoever will reply will give me good info to build my knowledge on.
    First things first :

You need to find out the location & depth of the fish, in accordance with how the fish (in the lakes you fish) are affected by the different seasons. THEN choose the method that most easily presents the bait to those fish .... at the location & depth they're at, and at the speed which will provoke them into biting the bait.

The conditions which you are faced with, will also determine what method is most efficient. You wouldn't really want to spider rig or troll through an area of closely grouped standing trees ... but, vertical jigging, casting, or tightlining among them would be options to consider. Conversely, you wouldn't want to be casting to fish that were deep in open water ... when spider rigging, trolling, or vertical jigging would be better options.

No one season is covered by any one method, alone ... the fish will be reacting to the season & conditions present, following their instinct to breed or feed. Presentation of your bait is the prime factor that you have control over. How you present your bait is dictated by "where" the fish are, and what mood they're in. But, you have to find out where the fish are, first ... then choose your method accordingly. Recent & reliable fishing reports, and lake conditions (water level, temp, clarity, oxygen content depth, thermocline, and barometric pressure readings) will help you figure out "where they should be" ... then, good electronics will help you eliminate water and/or pinpoint where the fish are located.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I guess if it was a sure thing it would be as much fun. Fishing isn't much different than hunting.
    Likes Eagle 1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Hhhmmmm. Sounds like I need to get more experience with my cheap electronics.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I fish with a jig pole nearly 100 % of the time. I verticle jig and as some call strolling (dragging jigs with poles in hand in deeper water). Reading your electronics fishing cover (tops, stakebeds, and such) or suspended Crappie usually around baitfish. You will learn fishing without electronics is blind fishing. But you can get by with inexpensive unit if that is all you can afford. I run a Humminbird 570 DI and it does plenty for me, but much of my fishing is tops I return to with help of a handheld GPS.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs