Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dock shooter

Post Thanks / Like

Default dock shooter

I have several rods that I use for dock shooting. I have been catalog looking with this bad weather and was reading about the B&m Sharpshooter. I don't like the way the reel attaches , only because I have never had this type. Anybody have one or what else would you recommend. Not all rods are good dock shooters. What else do you have experience with......Thanks ...crappie1133

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's what I use :

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/showthread.php/275966-Dock-shooting

Also, when I had a chance to handle one of the BnM Dockshooter rods, I found it to be a little too whippy for my taste. That was over 10 years ago, and I was using a 5' Zebco rod, which was a bit stiffer and more to my liking. Those that were basically my mentors to dock shooting were using 6' med action rods. A couple of years later I ended up with the ESP 5'6" UL to fieldtest, and I haven't used another rod as my primary dock shooter, since.

... cp
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-04-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 4.5ft BnM for dock shooting and Pappy is right it is a tad bit whippy, but thats ok. I to was sceptical about the Tennessee handle, but I havent had any issues with it, if I had to order another dock shooter I think I would try a longer pole maybe a 5ft pole.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pro angler 4.5 footer which I really like as far as stiffness goes and is great in tight spots but doing it over again I would go with the 5.5 pro angler

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom 513 View Post
    I have 4.5ft BnM for dock shooting and Pappy is right it is a tad bit whippy, but thats ok. I to was sceptical about the Tennessee handle, but I havent had any issues with it, if I had to order another dock shooter I think I would try a longer pole maybe a 5ft pole.
    I actually "prefer" a rod with a Tenn. handle ... since you can move the reel around on the handle to the perfect balance point, whereas you'd have to pick a reel of a specific weight/size to balance a rod that has a fixed reel seat.
    I've used half a dozen different rod lengths & actions to shoot docks with ... but, prefer a 5'6" to 6'6" rod with fast action taper. The rods that have a parabolic bend work OK ... but they seem to "sling" the jig, rather than "shoot" the jig like a fast action rod does. Hooksets have to be taken into account, too. You'll have to move the parabolic bend rods a greater distance to get a solid hookset, due to the ease in which the majority of the length of the rod will bend. A rod with a fast action tip will not bend as easily, through the middle portion of the rod blank, and sets the hook with less rod movement or a less powerful jerk of the rod.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I give what is a Tennessee handle?
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BoarBuster View Post
    Ok I give what is a Tennessee handle?
    A "Tennessee handle" is one without any fixed reel seat ... some may have "rings" to hold the reel, others may simply be cork or foam covered over the length of the handle, or be a larger section of graphite rod blank. Even when using a Tenn handle rod with the rings ... I put elec. tape around the rings & reel foot, just as insurance.

Here's an example for clarification : http://www.bnmpoles.com/p-45-tenness...t-and-fly.aspx

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I do not like the rod but the reel seat works fine.

Post Thanks / Like

i am not crazy about the one i have,i dont mind the whippy part, but for me the tip isnt fast enough. i have a shimano convergance in 5' that has good backbone, but has a more sensitive tip. if they are hammering the bait it doesnt matter, but to me when the bite is a little lighter,the faster tip they dont seem to feel as much

Post Thanks / Like

Pappy, Yes I too like the Tenn handle, it gives me plenty of trigger area for my index finger, and I understand your reasoning behind pole actions, but I just bought my pole early Summer last year and havent caught any thing on it yet! although after this long Winter I can hit my 16 yr old grandson in the back at 20yard consistantly or untill he chases me away . Seriously Ive used mine 3 or 4 times, mainly due to the lack of docks at the lake I fished last year, I plan on shooting more this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast