Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Braid for jig fishing on spinning reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Braid for jig fishing on spinning reels

I'd read if you use braid for jig fishing on a spinning reel it wasn't a matter of if your spinning reel would lock up but when. Would appreciate your opinions as I have held off from using braid since reading this. Also how do you tie your knot when using braid? What braided lines have you found work best?

Post Thanks / Like

I have used both Fireline and Power Pro for at least 7 or 8 years now and never had a problem with any of my spinning reels. I like the Power Pro for casting because of the flexiblity and prefer the Fireine when vertical jiggng because it is little stfffer and does not seem to wrap around the tip of the rod on a failed hookset. Both lines offer great strength and sensitivity when using a palomar knot.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I never heard that one, are you casting or just drop down jigging. Only trouble I have ever had was on little undersping or push button reels. I have used about every kind made since it first came out. Some of the older stuff I didn't like much. The newer braids are much better. The newer PowerPro super slick is getting some good press and quite a few of the guys in Texas and Okla are using BoneHead braid from a guy in Texas that is a sponsor on here. Giving it great reviews for jigging. Haven't tried either one yet but going to try some BoneHead. I have found contrary to a lot of folks saying otherwise that tying a improved clinch knot works best for me. I tie it with a inch or so of tag end left, pull it tight then pull on it some more. Then trim leaving 1/4 in or so tag just in case it slips a little. Never have had it come loose. Which ever one you select I would try tying knots to hooks the wrap a stick in line and pull real good to make sure your knots will hold. Crappiepappy will surly get on with his reviews also. He does a couple of extras with his knots at times.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    I'd read if you use braid for jig fishing on a spinning reel it wasn't a matter of if your spinning reel would lock up but when. Would appreciate your opinions as I have held off from using braid since reading this. Also how do you tie your knot when using braid? What braided lines have you found work best?
    Not sure where you "read" that braid would "lock up" a spinning reel, but I'm skeptical of such a statement without understanding what is meant by "lock up".

I use PowerPro 10/2 on a Shimano Spirex 2000, and formerly used Spiderwire 20/6 on a Daiwa of the same size .... no problems associated with the braid were experienced.

I use a Improved Clinch knot for tying my baits onto the braid .... I may tie a overhand knot in the tag line & cinch the Improved Clinch down against it, if I experience any slippage when using brand new PowerPro braid.

I cannot attest to which braids "work best", as I've only used these two brands. Not having any major problems with them, in the way I use them, has kept me from needing to seek alternative brands.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if they are talking about is the braid pulling down in the spool like it will on a baitcaster. That would be the only thing that I can think of

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use power pro hi vis 15lb on spinning, 20 on the Okuma's for cranks, and have no problems fishing it. Palomar, loop, then clinch are the 3 knots I use on it, with no problems

Post Thanks / Like

Smile braid

Never heard of locking up. No problems with using power pro,, also use some mono for a backing before applying the braid. Maybe someone didnt apply backing and had the braid fuse to the spool. Use a uni knot for the leader

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clfarms1 View Post
    I wonder if they are talking about is the braid pulling down in the spool like it will on a baitcaster. That would be the only thing that I can think of
    Yeah I agree with you, if its a large diameter spool the braid can cut into itsself.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brushnjigs View Post
    Yeah I agree with you, if its a large diameter spool the braid can cut into itsself.
    It shouldn't ... even on a large spool reel. Now, I can see it cutting into the coils IF you hang up and pull against the hang with the reel's drag cinched down tight. But ... you really shouldn't have the drag locked down, and actually should have it a bit looser than you normally would using the same size mono. Braid don't stretch much, so even with a slightly looser drag setting, you're still going to have more power in your hookset than with mono. And having the drag a little loose will also keep you from snapping your rod in half, on those occasions where you get excited and set the hook too hard

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Not sure where you "read" that braid would "lock up" a spinning reel, but I'm skeptical of such a statement without understanding what is meant by "lock up".
    Same here.

Regardless, I've been using various braids on spinning reels for years with no problems.

I generally use Fireline with a short mono/fluoro leader. I use a double uni knot to join braid to leader.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast