Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: probably the same question again?

Post Thanks / Like

Default probably the same question again?

Ok, I’m trying to learn some stuff here. I’ve fished all my life but never focused on crappie. Got hooked last year on the tasty little fellars and can’t get enough. But,that puts me in a tight spot. This site has tons of info but I might not understand what maybe some of the simplest of terms so I am reaching out for some clarification. I have a good idea of what each technique is but just want to be sure.

Help me understand the different kinds or techniques of crappie fishing please?and what rod and reel (i.e. length, weight...) I would need for each technique. Oh, I will be fishing out of me Lowe Big Jon maty!. Thanks in advance

Flippin
    Dippin
    Trollin
    Shootin
    Last edited by Inthehollar; 03-02-2014 at 08:21 PM.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Inthehollar View Post
    Ok, I’m tryingto learn some stuff here. I’ve fished all my life but never focused on crappie.Got hooked last year on the tasty little fellars and can’t get enough. But,that puts me in a tight spot. This site has tons of info but I might notunderstand what maybe some of the simplest of terms so I am reaching out forsome clarification. I have a good idea of what technique is but just want to be sure.

Help me understand the different kinds or techniques of crappie fishing please?and what rod and reel (i.e. length, weight...) I would need for each technique. Oh, I will be fishing out of me Lowe Big Jon maty!. Thanks in advance

Flippin
    Dippin
    Trollin
    Shootin
    The nickel tour version of definitions of these terms :

Flippin - pendulum swinging the bait "underhand" and not actually casting it (overhead/sidearm).
    Dippin - dropping a bait on a fixed amount of line, down into cover.
    Trollin - dragging bait/baits along under power of big motor or trolling motor.
    Shootin - slingshot casting bait under docks/piers/overhangs.

Flippin/Dippin ... generally a long rod is used (>8')
    Trollin ... long rods, all same length or various lengths (depending on spread)
    Shootin ... short rods, generally 5' to 6.5' in length

All things considered, spinning rods/reels are the norm ... but, rod/reel brands & lengths & action are personal preferences. Baitcast style reels can be/are used in the Flippin/Dippin/Trollin techniques ... but Shootin requires a spinning or spincast or underspin style reel.

Here's a link to a discussion on "Shootin" (shooting docks/dock shooting) : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/showt...Tecnique/page2 This is just my interpretation of how it's done.

Trollin - has several versions & variations : Longline trolling - Spider Rigging - Slow Trolling - Pushing/Pulling. But are all simply a method of dragging a bait/baits through the water in a constant motion. If you're tied up or anchored (stationary), you are no longer "trollin" ... you're "still fishing" or "tightline fishing", no matter how many rods you have out. Generally speaking, some form of "rod holder" is used for these methods.

The site may be experiencing problems with the Advanced Search feature, but you can still use Google (or other search engine) to find posts/threads on these methods. Simply type in the name of the method (ie "pushing" for example) and then add "crappie.com" ... so that the search line says : pushing crappie.com ---- that should bring up links to discussions about that type of fishing method, somewhere in the links listing.

... cp
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CrappiePappy. That was a quick reply with lots of info. It turns out I was right on what I thought each tecnique was. Now I can go forth and catch fishes!

What about Tight Lining? That one I know I am not certain about.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Inthehollar View Post
    Thanks CrappiePappy. That was a quick reply with lots of info. It turns out I was right on what I thought each tecnique was. Now I can go forth and catch fishes!

What about Tight Lining? That one I know I am not certain about.
    Tightline = fishing straight down, with the weight of the bait (or sinker) holding the line in a vertical & stationary position ... boat is stationary (tied up or anchored). No floats/bobbers attached to line.

That's my definition of it, anyway. Current "name" for what we older folk used to call "still fishing" (ie - sitting still/not moving fishing method).

You kind of have to read between the lines, sometimes, when reading discussions from various different areas of the country .... because some folks use some terms interchangeably. One of the most frequent examples is using the terms "structure" & "cover" for the same thing. "Structure" being the natural bottom contour of a body of water ... while "cover" is those things that come up from the bottom & provide a hiding place. Cover can be natural, like submerged trees, bridge pilings, weeds ... or it can be natural & placed there by man, or man-made & placed there by man.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    You kind of have to read between the lines, sometimes, when reading discussions from various different areas of the country .... because some folks use some terms interchangeably.
    Thats why I am asking. Some terms interchange from lake to lake it seems.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that some techniques work better at different times of year and when crappie are holding at different depths. Tightlining allows you to get down where they live. You will be surprised how easy it is to work a jig through a big brushpile without getting hung up.
    Casting comes in handy when fishing over the top of a brushpile or thru a stakebed. Allows you to stay off and not spook fish in shallow water. More fun because you get to fight them longer too.
    Fishing a jig under a float through a stakebed or over the top of brush can be very effective when fish are spawning.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. from another rookie