Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturdays jig pouring session

Post Thanks / Like

Default Saturdays jig pouring session

Well I finally got off my butt, and hoping the back held up did some jig pouring - had to try the new mold. I poured Ballhead no collar, redman heads, horseheads and the new mold. 650 total - Used 1 1/2 pots of lead before the back hurt and I packed it all in.

Jacobs 1/32nd Ballhead no collar mold

but it has a twist, another member knows someone and helped me get it moded to make 1/32nd football head jigs and I used #6 Black Chrome sickles

Here's all the jigs I poured and then packed up

One I really had to stock up on was the 1/32nd horseheads and I put #6 black chrome hooks in them

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a lot of work. More than I want in one sitting. That old TL29 knife brings back a lot of momories.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

If I had a high stool to sit on I could do more, but right now it's how long the back goes with out getting all stiffened up. I got that knife from my Uncle when I was a kid and we always used it to trim jigs with, it trims really well.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My back is good for about 2 hr's. Poured 3 hundred the other day and couldn't take it any more. Those knifes were standard issue when I joined the Navy in 65. Got one on my tying table and a brand new one I got in 67 put up.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking good Doug. Those football heads look great!
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good Doug....I know about not being able to sit too long. On a stool, forget it. Lower the counter, sit in a chair with a back rest. Lean back and rest back to relax back muscles. Can go longer that way....
    Likes Bobo Greybeard, jaxsprat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Good work Fatman. Tell me, how do those football heads fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Those look great
    That's a long run
    Some of those heads you poured takes a lot of time

Are the football heads easy to get out of the mold

Post Thanks / Like

The footballs took the longest - I'm going to have to try hand ladleing the Jacobs mold the pour holes as rounded as they are don't seem to let the lead flow real well. They come out of the mold fine.

The rest poured really quick - I'm used to the horseheads and you can whip them right out, the redman heads are one at a time. Next session it will probably be the 1/16th horseheads with #4 Black chrome sickles and some more redman heads with #4 Black chrome sickles. Have to check my unpainted box and see what's low first though.

They fish good, especially for trout in the one big Fish and Wildlife pond I fish. Under a float they have a nice gliding action and depending on why you tie on them it will flair - I like grizzly or polar on them, but have a bunch of new craft fur and a lot of crosscut zonkers to try also.

Paint is a base color of New Penny with a clear coat of irridescent orange glitter, and the hair is grizzly bear. The paint mix is starting to be be one of my favs

Post Thanks / Like

Your back so we can learn!! Nice pics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast