Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mold review

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mold review

Well I got a Jabobs 1/32nd ballhead jig mold and even though it's moded that doesn't affect the basic review of the mold. This is ONLY my opinion and I base it on 41 years of pouring jigs and sinkers with many different molds.

Quality of mold - 10 excellent workmanship -
    Handles - 5 Way to short!! and that was with a bare hand, wearing a protective glove was worse and made them even shorter
    Pouring Holes 0 - Way to big and the cup shape slows the flow of lead, making alot of misformed heads
    Angled Jig slots 4 - Makes getting the sprue off really hard.

Post Thanks / Like

1/32 is tough for any mold maker, a lot of things have to be just right, mostly the lead. Never had a Jacobs but my DO-It works very well as long as the lead is pure. Thanks for the input.

Post Thanks / Like

Been working with FM and also Rick from Jacobs Baits. I agree with FM the sprue is to large. Should not be hard to fix. I have poured over 1000 of the Jacobs 1/24 and Jacobs 1/32...still having this problem. I am using pure lead. Rick advised today that he will review but is concerned that people will then say to small. MEASURE A PRO MODEL DO-IT!!!!!!!!
    I have only 25 years of pouring so still learning tricks from others but FM is spot on with this point.
    Been trying to get Rick to produce a 1/8 with recessed eyes but now is not interested. Must be because of honest feedback....I post on three different sites and a 1/8 with a 4mm recessed eyes is what many would say is a good start. I have a company that will scan any jig. We need to have a company that will continue to listen to the customers.
    FM with 40 years experience and me with over 25? Will continue to use molds but please listen to the customers. If we are wrong I may suggest running a survey off your site with people who have purchased molds. With all new products there will be issues. Not like a car "recall" just suggesting how to make it better.

Post Thanks / Like

I have poured 1000's of jigs in the 1/24 oz. Mold I have of ricks and have had no complaints .....
    Don't get me wrong I have had some bad cast but no more than if not less than I have had with do it mold

As far as Do-it mold go they are hitwish miss I ordered 4 molds last week from Barlows (Do-it molds) 2 of the molds would not close properly and would flash real bad so I would not use Do-it as an example for the ideal mold and yes they were pro molds and yes they were empty when checked them out
    The other 2 molds were fine but 2 were junk

The only reason I ordered them from do-it and not Rick is because he don't make one of the sizes I needed and he didn't have time to cut it .... designing cutting and shipping a mold in four days is an unrealistic request so I understand

I wish I could have gotten them from Rick

I have over 60 Do-it molds and I pour a lot of jigs (8800 last week) so I feel like I know quit a bit about pouring lead and do it molds ...... I don't have 25 or 30 years experience (I'm only 32 haven't had much time to build experience ...... lol) but I pour a lot so here's my OPINION

I prefer Ricks mold and plan to change out all my crappie molds as I get the money and here is why

They accommodate a wider range of hook sizes
    The barbs are better (my customers didn't like the tapered barb so I had to hunt down old style do it molds with the sharp barb) well Ricks barb it like the best of both worlds great holding power but not so long the poke out of the bait
    The are machined molds

I do agree the Handel's could be longer but I can live with that or I can cut new handles

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really glad you got a good one. On the second time pouring in 3+ hours I got 65 heads and a few of those were close. I melted more bad ones off the hooks than what I made with it. I tried slow pouring, ladleing by hand, turned the pot all the way up to 9 (have never done this before) and even in a last ditch effort and DON"T DO THIS!!!! put the pour spout on the bottom pour right in the pour hole of the mold and even that didn't work. I also posted the review on Ricks site.

This was all with pure lead. I've poured 1/48th Pony heads with a 2-1 mix (hard/pure) and never had the problems like I did with this one. I've used molds from Herters, EL Sweet, Palmer, Do-It, hilts and Ament plus some off the wall stuff my Uncle had me try pouring when I was in Jr. High. Did alot of trimming on some of them put they all poured good.

I really hope he does well with the jig molds but he has to take comments from both sides. Couple of changes and they're going to be really kick butt.

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You know guys all you have to do is send out molds back to Rick and he will definitely reworked them over for you but if you do modify them you are on your own I stand behind Rick 100% from Jacob's baits because personally I know the man very well and he does stand behind everything that he puts out I have sent molds back to Rick to be worked on and he was very kind about it and rework the molds over from the in symptom back to me I have never had any problems so I suggest you guys if you're having problems with the molds send them back to Rick tell him your problems do not try to solve them yourself I believe that we should try to keep our criticizing personally to ourselves in if you go to do so do it by p.m. I know this is the place for information but we don't have to get really ugly about it and forgive me if I offended you guys.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I poured a lot of 1/24 heads with no problems but last week wanted to pour some with the barbs, I may get 10% usable jigs with a barb. I thought I may be doing something wrong but I do use pure lead with nothing mixed in but can not get the barbs on the jigs. I don't see anything wrong with the mold but I'm lost at how to fix this problem. I can always fill it in to pour all round heads I guess.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Ronnie - try the mold release that Cadman recommends and you can cut vent lines where you want the lead to go for the barbs. Use a straight edge and an exacto knife - looks neater.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob

You haven't offended as far as I can see. I freely admit the mold was moded but it didn't change the pour hole or the slot that goes on the top of the jig - just points made for a football shape. I posted a simple review and said it was MY opinion. I was going to ask fisherhawk how he was pouring his 1/24th where he was really putting them out but got dragged into meetings this afternoon. I really feel with a few small changes Ricks molds are going to beat everyones out there, I don't slam peoples products but an honest review and some suggestions is feedback I think he would want.

Post Thanks / Like

Again Bob not offending me either. I just poured a couple hundred in Jacobs 1/32 (1st pours in this mold tonight). I can use a hook #8 to #2. Again nothing else on the market like that! The versatility is unreal. The sprue is the issue again with this mold. So I will try the dog nail cutters. Like the work but do not like adding steps.
    Again with FM not trying to slam anyone. I think this is the best offer for jig pouring in the last ten years! I am excited. I think a simple change will continue to add value to the product. Always shooting for continuous improvement!!!
    Any other ideas for snipping sprues beside dog clippers Please let me know.... I have a PetSmart close to my work and have a good idea where I will be after work tomorrow night!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast