Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: John Redmond

Post Thanks / Like

Default John Redmond

Hey guys I have enjoyed reading all of the threads on this forum and finally decided to register. Me and a couple of my fishing budies have taken a week of vacation for the last 17 years to fish Melvern during the crappie spawn. I see that the Fall netting samples were not very encouraging this year. It has been a great ride but it looks like it is finally on a downward cycle. I know that it happens to all lakes but it has been good for such a long time. Will probably concentrate more on Pamona this year. I do see that the netting results for John Redmond were very good. I have herd stories of people having good luck there along the face of the dam during the Spawn. Any advice on fishing the lake with boat? I know that it is awfully shallow.

Post Thanks / Like

Wind whips it into a fury in short order. I have had better luck with crappie in the major creeks feeding the Neosho and below the dam in the outlet.

Post Thanks / Like

Been also thinking on a trip to Redmond this spring, need to do some research on the ramps and possible structure available. I understand it is a mud hole if the wind has been blowing, perhaps the river will be a place to start. Is there a good ramp on the Neosho?

Post Thanks / Like

I have never fished it but stopped while we were bird hunting down there two years ago. The ramp above the lake in the river was concrete and looked like it was good in shape. The river was full of laydowns, it looked really really good.

Post Thanks / Like

Otter creek can have some good fish in it. Also if you hit it right fishing along the damn can be awesome. Eagle creek is good but you cannot get there by boat due to the log jam. You either have to fish from bank or bring a boat you can slide down the bank.

Post Thanks / Like

If they ever clear the Hartford ramp it's the only one I can think of since the log jam closed off Jacob's creek ramp. Not a lot of cover unless the lake is up. If it's up then water gets into the willows. When it's down I'd check the rip rap along the dam or the old river channel. Supposed to start dredging it next year. Lebo creek used to have some good crappie in it. Not sure how many died in the drought, and not sure what the big flood last year did to them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great Info!

Thanks everyone for all of the feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot since its been a few years that I had a boat I was willing to beat up to get there...
    We used to fish white bass by launching at the dam, then running all the way across the lake and entering the river to go to the log jam. There is a maze of channels back there that all have brush in them that I imagine could be good crappie habitat. Caught monster white bass doing this, but never a crappie. I wouldn't do it in a nice boat. You have to know where the old channel cuts into the flats and hit it. If you don't you might need prop work and have a boat stuck in the mud. When you get out of the boat on the flats you can usually expect mud to your nuts. I've caught a lot of channel cat up that way with a rising river.

Post Thanks / Like

How tall are you zummy? LOL
    "My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am" -- unknown
    Likes springhillwantabe, crappieslinger LIKED above post