Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding a boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finding a boat

Seems like last spring, I could find a boat/trailer/motor for around $500....this year, everyone wants $1500. lol Same thing going for finding a truck, but thats a different story. Anyone know any good places to look for a used cheap boat? Already been on craigslist

Post Thanks / Like

For $500 it's gonna be tough to find anything with an outboard that runs. You can find a small boat and trailer leaning behind someone's shed or garage that you may be able to pick up for little to no money. If you're not the shy type, knocking on the door of someone that obviously isn't getting much use out of their rig might serve you well. There are 2 boats in my neighborhood that haven't moved in the 12 years I've been there....those are the types I'm talking about. Craigslist is still a great place for local boats, but you've gotta search often and be ready to jump quick.

Post Thanks / Like

Boattraderonline.com
    Blakemore/Roadrunner pro staff
    Southern Pro Tackle/ Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Rodholders
    Ranger Boats

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

theres quite a few 12-14' V's and Jons on craigslist,,,and cheap motors also,,takes alittle work to get everything the way you want it, but keep looking. Aluminum boats aren't cheap anymore as well as motors, but there are deals out there to be had,,check the Trader paper also.

Post Thanks / Like

I go with a nice kayak for that price range...and save for a bigger ride.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944
    Likes raporter LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You could get a decient aluminum boat for now, pick up a good trolling motor and a couple of marine batteries, and make do till you find a small motor on craigs list that you can afford also. Most of the places I fish,,,I seldom run my big motor when I launch as I start trolling/longlining right off the bat sometimes and 2 good marine batteries will last you 10-12 hrs of solid trolling and fishing till you pick up a motor. I sometimes fish out of a kayak when on East Fork of the White River also. Locator79 has a great suggestion about the kayak also. They can be had on sale at Dick's or Gander Mt. in Indy for as little as 300 bucks and work great. Mine is camo'ed and 11' long with 2 built in rod holders and has way lots of storage for meals, and gear and was on sale for 400.00 at Gander Mt. 4-5 yrs ago. Cheaper now. Easy to go upstream as well as downstream on a river in one. Kayaks don't catch the wind like a canoe will either. Great to use in lakes on windy days.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Im trying to find a 14 foot aluminum V....something I can take out on the rez and maybe down to Monroe or Patoka. And yeah, last year I was finding a lot of boats with motors for $500....maybe im just a little early...hoping once it warms up I can find one
    Last edited by Legato; 03-01-2014 at 12:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, you're right about early. It's getting about the prime time season for selling boating and fishing items. Many sellers know it and there will be more boats with higher prices to start. Eager buyers will pick them up. The motivated sellers wanting to move their boats will have them priced right. Patience... remember the two happiest days of a boat owner: the day they buy their boat & the day they sell it.

Post Thanks / Like

Legato...pm me your contact info,,or email addy will work. I run across deals down here in White River country all the time. Friend of mine, couple of weeks ago, bought a 16' Lowe Jon 1648 with 25 hp Johnson motor and on trailer, it was a older boat, but ran like a watch and didn't leak, for 500.00. Deals like that don't happen all the time and he just happened to be at the right place at the right time and was just plain lucky to run into this deal. But, as the weather breaks, deals come up and it sometimes happen to your advantage and you have to be quick to move on them. If I run across any, will let you know if you want. No garantees but will look around when I am out and about and put some feelers out.
    Likes Hoosier Crappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a bigger boat back in December, and will be putting my older boat up for sale, its set up for Crappie fishing too, even has a crappie.com sticker! its a 13.5ft fiberglass tri haul, with a 2 stroke 9.5hp 2 trolling motors depth finder on a nice trailer, carpet is very nice too. I am going to be asking $1200 if thats in your budget? The new 55lb trolling motor and pole holders are worth $400! if your interested pm me your e mail address and I will send you pix?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast