Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: water depth and performance of sonar and di?(I maybe in wrong forum)

Post Thanks / Like

Default water depth and performance of sonar and di?(I maybe in wrong forum)

at depths of 4-6' what can i expect from my si, di, and sonar on my LR 7 Touch?

I can see structure and cover but no fish or bait. keep in mind only been on the water with it 2 times so far.

TIA

Post Thanks / Like

You will get better and more "in-depth" answers in the Electronics Forum, but you have to remember that the SI and DI are just very thin slices of sonar, so it will be very hard to "see" a bait. The 2d (traditional) sonar is a cone shape and if you drop bait next to transducer, you should be able to spot it. You may be seeing fish on your DI/SI and not realize it. There are lots of screenshots on the electronics forum and you will see exactly how fish look

Post Thanks / Like

Remember the boat has to be moving for the DI/SI to work properly.

2000 ProCraft 210 SuperPro DC w/Merc 250 ProXB
    Hi-Tek rod holders

Post Thanks / Like

That shallow, I would set the SI to 455

2000 ProCraft 210 SuperPro DC w/Merc 250 ProXB
    Hi-Tek rod holders

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

2d sonar ... you aren't going to see much, since the bottom of the cone is only going to be about a foot to two feet wide (if using 20deg cone) ... and progressively smaller as you come up to the transducer. A 60deg cone angle will show a bottom circle that's the same diameter as the depth of water you're in.

DI ... swath is going to be 0.8 x depth in feet for 800kHz --- 1.5 x depth in feet for 455kHz

SI ... swath is going to be out to ~90deg to either side of the transducer

And any of the three are going to show a better (& more understandable) image if the boat is moving.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same problem in shallow water. When I was trolling over heavy bait and fish in 15 feet they showed up fine, but when I trolled over them in 4 to 6 feet they never showed up

Post Thanks / Like

that' s pretty shallow for any down looking Sonar ...and figure the transducer is another foot deep in the water too. SI should work better but you gotta keep moving.

Post Thanks / Like

You might find how to better set up your unit by looking up Humminbird on youtube. I've picked up a few ideas to get more out of my unit.