Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie activity changing throughtout the day?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie activity changing throughtout the day?

Does anybody have any theories about the way crappie may change patterns during the course of a day? For instance are they likely to hold to cover or structure during a certain part of the day then more likely to be out roaming the flats in another part? This of course assuming normal water color and disregarding the solunar forecast.
    Genesis 27:3

Likes FIN LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

THATS A LOADED QUESTION,ACT DIFFERENT IN DIFFERENT LAKES,DIFFERENT TIMES OF YEAR,AND ALL CRAPPIES DO NOT ACT THE SAME.WILL TELL YOU A LITTLE AS I SEE IT AND OTHERS WILL CHINE IN .THIS TIME OF YEAR TILL BEFORE GOING TO THE BEDS IN OUR AREA,THEY ARE NOT ON BRUSH AS MUCH BUT MOVING TOWARD BACK OF CREEKS,BUT IF YOU ARE CALLING CREEK CHANNEL STRUCTURE THEN MANY WILL BE FOLLOWING IT AND WILL MOVE ON FLATS OFF AND ON AS THEY MOVE AND FOLLOW SHADS,IN WINTER AND SUMMER MANY WILL BE IN OPEN WATER FOLLOWING SHADS WHILE OTHERS WILL BE ON DEEP BRUSH, FALL THEY WILL BE MOVING BACK TO SHALLOW WATER AND WILL SET UP ON PILES,MAKING THEM EASY TARGETS,OTHERS AT ANYTIME OF YEAR WILL BE ON DOCKS FROM DEEP ONES TO SHALLOW ,DEPENDING ON SEASON,AND IN OUR LAKE IN SUMMER UP THE RIVER YOU CAN CATCH THEM IN SHALLOW WATER 3-9 FEET AND AS YOU GO DOWN LAKE MAY BE 40 FEET DEEP,YOUR QUESTION WOULD TAKE A BOOK TO FILL AND THEN OTHERS COULD ADD ANOTHER BOOK OR TWO,SO LETS SEE HOW AND WHERE PEOPLE CHINE IN WITH INFORMATION,COULD HAVE CONTINUE BUT FINGER IS TIRED
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

I believe this time of year they are moving in and out of there spawning areas, usually staging just outside of them. In my experience this time of year as the day goes on they move deeper. I only long line dec to apr so dont know about rest of year

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys. I always go to the lake ready to two pole, spider rig, cast, shoot docks, and use slip floats. I always wondered if it was worth all the mess. I rarely spider rig unless I can't find any structure or cover, or fish. My favorite is two poling, but I tend to spend most of time looking for something to fish and the rest of it spooking and trying to catch fish.

Which brings me to another question, does anybody happen to have a 2D shot of an example of structure such as a ledge or spotin the creek channel wwhich is actually holding fish. I spend at least two hours every trip moving along the creek channel looking for such a spot but never ever find one of those elusive things.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

How much sonar do you have and what depth are you looking for them at? I like to "two pole" when the fish are grouped up...Usually over brush piles or creek channels...watching my Lowrance the whole time.Love to feel the "thump",But I switch to spider rigging once they scatter and go shallower.
    Last edited by RTJ214; 02-28-2014 at 07:16 PM.

2000 ProCraft 210 SuperPro DC w/Merc 250 ProXB
    Hi-Tek rod holders

Post Thanks / Like

I've got an HB 587c HD or something close to that, its color and dual beam just no imaging. Normally look in 10-15 fow and find brush and schools here and there. I also follow creek channels and can never seem to find a ledge, plenty of slopes, just no ledge. But I agree, nothing like the thump.

Post Thanks / Like

I assume it's mounted up front with the transducer on the trolling motor...make sure your beam is set at 200...increase the power till you can see your jig under the tm.You should be able to track it thru the water column. 15 fow is just at the edge of using sonar as a fish finder...20ft plus would be better.DI would help you tell the difference between cover and fish.I have the Lowrance Elite 7x up front,Its both 2d and di.I don't use the di much but it is nice to have.In less than 15 ft i would just look for structure and/or cover to fish,don't worry about fish arches.If your sonar transducer is transom mounted check to see that it is level with the water line on your hull.you have a good sonar and should have no problem finding ledges,but if the beam is not pointed straight down that maybe why your having trouble.

Hi-Tek rod holders

Post Thanks / Like

it sounds like you may not understand what a ledge looks like,not meant to be downing you,go straight across the creek channel and watch how the unit goes up and down,it willshow both depth at the same time then go back to one,cross it till you get a good pic in your mind
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

That may be the problem, I just don't really know what I'm looking for as far as a ledge goes.

By turning the power up do mean the sensitivity? I've seeing my jig as few times on the screen but how close should I have to be to the tm (where the transducer is) to see my jig in 10 foot of water using either beam? Using 10 foot rods.

Thanks for the help again, even though I'm completely off the subject of the thread now.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest dvds called sonar 101 and 201.They will teach you how read and use your 2-d sonar.They explain how it works,how to adjust it,how to interpret what you are seeing on your screen and how to use the info to catch fish....or you could upgrade to DI/Si and it does most of this for you...but Di/Si don't work for vertical jigging like 2-d.
    Last edited by RTJ214; 03-02-2014 at 01:53 AM.

Hi-Tek rod holders