Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with picking new rods!!!!

shane1980 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with picking new rods!!!!

ok guys I am upgrading my rods and need info on what to get. I am ready to get some new rods as I am getting more time to fish and my girls more interested. I have the crappie fighters that you get from Gander Mountain. I want to get rods that I can use for spider rigging and for long lining. I run 2-12 footers and the 6-10 footers now. I have been told that I need to try to get farther away from the boat with longer rods. Please give me you input on rods, lengths and heck if you feel like it a picture or description how you are set up. Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the best guys I have seen fishing the tournaments use 18'-20' rods so as not to spook the fish. Those are some pricey rods meant for serious fisherman. I would suggest a trip to Liberty to spend some time with Monk. It sounds like your girls will need shorter, lighter rods. Monk has a good selection for younger fisherman to the more serious folks. I have center console boat and hopefully my boat will look like this one sometime in the future. This picture came from Beaver Creek Rod Holder company.

Name:  100_1782.jpg
Views: 1932
Size:  57.6 KB
    Likes mac crappie, CrappieTuttle LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Until the Girls get used to fishing those long poles I'd stay with what you got. As they get to where they can handle the 12 fter's then I would think about upgrading. Until then fish away.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Shane I've got the crappie fighters for long linning and I upgraded last year to B&M troling rods for tite linning, I like the crappie fighter for long linning if you want to get rid of any let me know I need 1 more 12 and 1 more 10, as far as the B&M rod I love em we have 12 and 14 I'm thinking about getting a couple of 16 s it took a while to get use to the 14 but I think I'm ready to extend good luck

Post Thanks / Like

www.southerncrappie rods.com best around
    Likes FASTTRITONMAN LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've been thinking about some of these myself . . . http://southerncrappierods.com/products.html
    Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a set of the 14's and really like them.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

for the 6'-16' selection you cannot beat the southern crappie rods. since ed doesn't make anything longer than 16' you gotta go see monk and get some 18'and 20's if you wanna deal with them. the 18' and 20's are 4 piece rods and heavy, i only fish them when i am serious, and only for longlining, the longer the rod the more the tip moves when the boat rocks. good luck. i would keep the girls with light short rods.

shane1980 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the replies! Time to make a decision and get ready for the spring!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely agree with gobbler on the southern crappie rods. Shoot me a message if you need Ed's contact info and he is great to deal with

Congrats Gobbler on a nice finish at greenwood!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast