Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crappie newbie needs help

i only catch weeds Guest

Default crappie newbie needs help

Hello everyone. I'm new here and I'm real excited about learning more about crappie fishing. I think I've found the place.

My interest in crappie was ignited a week ago when a friend netted a 2 lb. crappie while trying to get shad at a dam.

As my screen name states, I suck guys. So, can someone please give me the whole nine yards?

1.) Location: I thought, like bream, crappie bite more during the spring and summer months but some guys have been saying they find them close to shore and crappie are biting this time of year? What are some structure I'm to be looking for? How about casting in open water?

2.) What are some of your "go to" lures?

Anything else you think a new crappie fisherman can use, please include.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 7174 From Toledo Bend in Texas!

This time of year look for crappie in water much like spring. I would look for grass in water from pretty shallow up to about 12' deep or so.

I almost exclusively use jigs all year except in the summer and I night fish then and I use a minnow on my top hook and a 1/4 oz. jig below that like 18" or so. It works as my weight and catches the bigger fish too.

Look in the back of the creeks and soon they will go deep and here on this lake in Dec or Jan they will be catching them 40' deep in the famous "Chicken Coop". In Feb. they will be moving in to spawn and it will be on!

Hope this helps some,

Skip
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 12-17-2008 at 11:22 AM.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Default where you from?

It would be worth your while to pay our buddies Jerry and Darryl a visit here in Arkansas. They know so much, it would hurt the average human's head to try to get it all in on one trip.

Lots of folks (myself included) can't wait for the fall to fish. Crappie move from the deeper holes shallower feeding and getting fat for the winter. But, winter can be a great time too. It took me a few years to learn the seasonal patterns on my regular lake. They drew it down this year; so, I am learning how to fish different areas too.

You have found a great sight to learn from.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

This board is an excellant place to learn and people are more than willing to help you, but "the whole nine yards" would be a novel.
    Does the state you live in have a site here? Try posting there if you do, especially about the lakes you fish the most. Also you can use the search tool in the upper right hand corner, that will get you started. Do a little research on topics such as spider rigging, vertical casting, nightstalking, dock shooting. As far as lures go, you will find that most will use live minnows but as skip said, a few use only jigs. 1/16 oz to 1/64 oz is most common and the popular colors would be white, chartruese, black, blue, pink in any combination. If you have a boat, slow trolling is a good way to put some in the cooler. Good luck and remeber no question is a dumb question.
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard matey. I have not been here long myself. You have to be careful or your head will explode from the wealth of info on this site. most folks are very willing to help you in any way possible.

i only catch weeds Guest

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your input.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking You've found THE place, alright !!!

Quote Originally Posted by i only catch weeds
    Hello everyone. I'm new here and I'm real excited about learning more about crappie fishing. I think I've found the place.

My interest in crappie was ignited a week ago when a friend netted a 2 lb. crappie while trying to get shad at a dam.

As my screen name states, I suck guys. So, can someone please give me the whole nine yards?

1.) Location: I thought, like bream, crappie bite more during the spring and summer months but some guys have been saying they find them close to shore and crappie are biting this time of year? What are some structure I'm to be looking for? How about casting in open water?

2.) What are some of your "go to" lures?

Anything else you think a new crappie fisherman can use, please include.

Thanks in advance.
    First of all .... (if you don't mind telling) ... where are you, and what bodies of water are you planning on fishing ? What equipment do you currently own, that's "crappie fishing" related ? Are you a boat angler, or bank angler ? O.K. ... you get the picture. Before we can really narrow things down to where we'd be some help, and not overwhelm you with our collective knowledge .... we need to know a little more about you.

Read the articles section of this site ... and post questions on anything you don't understand, or find confusing. Use the search function, and read thru the posts that refer to the key words you enter. Just read thru the main board, and any state boards you want ... you'll come across a lot of answers to questions you didn't even know you had ... LOL!!

Short answers to the questions you posted :

1) Crappie bite all year long ... finding/knowing where they are/should be is the key. Structure to look for, depends on the lake (depth, state, temps, cover, etc). Casting in "open water" usually only works when the fish are suspended near baitfish schools. Casting to structure or cover works most of the rest of the time. Wood, weeds, & shade (whether by man-made structures, nature-made cover, or depth) are some other key elements.

2) "My" go-to lures : 1/32oz - 1/16oz Roadrunner ... 1/32-1/16oz weedless jighead & plastic bodies (tubes, grubs, Panfish Assassins) ... 1/16oz marabou jigs.

Welcome to Crappie.com !! ......... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Welcome!

It's good to have you on! As everyone has already said, it's a lot easier for you to get help with some general knowledge of where you fish and how you like to fish. My general best advice for a newbie is the exact same as for trying to tell a new hunter how to hunt:
    1) Keep your hook in the water! Go alot and try to learn something every time you go.
    2) If what you're doing isn't working, try something else.
    3) Don't go and buyout BPS and Walmart right now, cause you'll regret it when you become comfortable fishing. Just like people can kill a deer with a long bow and arrow, you can catch a fish with just a cane pole, string, hook, and some kind of bait.
    4) Not only on here, but talk and listen to people around you that crappie fish and find out what works good in your area.
    5) Just because someone says that "Fish are always deep in the winter, or always shallow in the spring" don't be afraid to try just the opposite, especially if you're trying the rules and not finding fish, you might be surprised sometimes.
    6) If you don't know anyone personally that crappie fishes and would take you, then if there is a guide in your area that specializes in crappie fishing, by all means HIRE THEM. It will be money well spent. They will help you with tons of info and you'll have a good time in the process.

Hope something here helps some.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

i only catch weeds Guest

Thanks guys. I did look at some previous threads and will continue to look. Here is my outfit:

-Light 5'6" rod lined with 6 lb. suffix. (thinking about going to 4)
    -I'm in NC and mainly a bank fisher. Although, at times, I get in a boat with some buddies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by i only catch weeds
    Thanks guys. I did look at some previous threads and will continue to look. Here is my outfit:

-Light 5'6" rod lined with 6 lb. suffix. (thinking about going to 4)
    -I'm in NC and mainly a bank fisher. Although, at times, I get in a boat with some buddies.

what part of NC?
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast