Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Center of Death Stars?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Center of Death Stars?

What is the green thing in some of the pictures of the death stars? I know some have siad to use a old basketball or the such. But what is the green thing and where do you get them? I want to put some out on the lake and over at the pond. Especially the pond for my son and myself. He loves fishing at the age of 3 and I hope to keep him interested.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishin3
    What is the green thing in some of the pictures of the death stars? I know some have siad to use a old basketball or the such. But what is the green thing and where do you get them? I want to put some out on the lake and over at the pond. Especially the pond for my son and myself. He loves fishing at the age of 3 and I hope to keep him interested.

http://www.grizzlyjig.com
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Basketballs

These guys just jaw jacking about the basketball...Having a little fun, that is all.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    These guys just jaw jacking about the basketball...Having a little fun, that is all.

CanePole,
    I made one that way. I will let you know how it works and post a pic right after Christmas.
    I just ran uncut 10 ft sections through the ball. It works, but the trapped air in the ball worries me.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to be creative. My resources are limited. I make things by looking at existing products and making it homemade. Like my rod holders on my older boat. I looked at the link on the rodholder thread. Then I drilled two holes 1/2" apart. I put a knot at the end of some heavy gage copper wire about 10" long and threaded the end into one of the holes pulled untill the knot stuck. Then pushed the wire into the other hole forming a loop. I knotted the wire making the loop the right size. I had to put some door stops on the boat to stop the poles from sliding back. It works and all 8 holders cost about 6 bucks.

Another simple thing I made is for jug fishing. It is a 10' lenght of 1/2" cpvc pipe with a wire clothes hanger. I pushed one end of the hangerdown the pipe and out a little hole drilled at an angle to kinda catch it. I bent the hanger towards the end where about a foot of the wire sticks off the cpvc and wrapped it around the wire. Bent a hook out of the end wire to catch the jugline. It is alot of fun fighting a 8lb catfish on that cpvc canepole.

I also got tired of fooling with lanterns night fishing so I cut the plug off 15' extention cord and threaded it into 5 1/2' of 1/2" emt. Bought a light socked that plugs into the cord and a 12volt lightbulb. I used two 3/4" emt straps to mount it where it can go up or to storage.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

You just gave me a good idea on how to get my PVC crappie Trees back out of the water. I have been thinking about how to do this all summer long.

I can use a long 20ft lenght of PVC pipe and somehow hook a cloths hanger (Plastic) onto one end. That should allow me to snag the TREE under the water and hopefully pull them to the surface. Now I just need to figure out how to hold the hook on the end of the pipe. This will work much better than trying to drag an boat anchor along the bottom of the lake trying to hook onto the PVC crappie trees.

I need to be able to snag the trees where the 1 1/2" pipe connected and goes though the 4" pvc pipe. These trees are ten foot tall and have a concrete weighted end that weights about 10 lbs or so. I should be able to pull them back to the surface easily with a long pole. Also the pole will allow me to fish around in the spot to locate the PVC TREES and not anthing else in the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconSmitty
    I have to be creative. My resources are limited. I make things by looking at existing products and making it homemade. Like my rod holders on my older boat. I looked at the link on the rodholder thread. Then I drilled two holes 1/2" apart. I put a knot at the end of some heavy gage copper wire about 10" long and threaded the end into one of the holes pulled untill the knot stuck. Then pushed the wire into the other hole forming a loop. I knotted the wire making the loop the right size. I had to put some door stops on the boat to stop the poles from sliding back. It works and all 8 holders cost about 6 bucks.

Another simple thing I made is for jug fishing. It is a 10' lenght of 1/2" cpvc pipe with a wire clothes hanger. I pushed one end of the hangerdown the pipe and out a little hole drilled at an angle to kinda catch it. I bent the hanger towards the end where about a foot of the wire sticks off the cpvc and wrapped it around the wire. Bent a hook out of the end wire to catch the jugline. It is alot of fun fighting a 8lb catfish on that cpvc canepole.

I also got tired of fooling with lanterns night fishing so I cut the plug off 15' extention cord and threaded it into 5 1/2' of 1/2" emt. Bought a light socked that plugs into the cord and a 12volt lightbulb. I used two 3/4" emt straps to mount it where it can go up or to storage.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Moose:

You're going to need something stronger than a coat hanger. If you heat PVC with a propane tourch you can bend it. You could probably bend a nice hook in the end of your 20' pipe. Could make a hook with a couple 90s too but I'm not sure it would be strong enough to pull up your condo.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jerry:

Thanks that is good information. I have a small propane tourch for plumbing work. Since I am not a good plumber maybe I can use it to bend my PVC pipes. Last time I put that torch to use I tried to fix a leaking water pipe coming into my hot water heater. I didn't do so good with the soldering job as it still leaks. LOL

I also have a new Hot Air Gun. I got some accessories with it that attach to the end of the heat gun and either spread the heat out or concentrate it more.

I thought about using some 90 deg elbows and glueing them to make a hook but as you said I worried that the joins would not be strong enough.

I was not sure how to actually connect the big plastic coat hanger to the end of the pvc pipes. I was thinking about attachingit with lots of duct tape LOL.

I have some coat hangers that are 1/2 in diameter. They are really heavy duty plastic types. I will go to the PVC pipe store and see what they might suggest as far as making a strong hook.

I know that the joints are not that strong as I made the mistake of putting a Min-kota brand drag sock on the PVC umbrella holder on my boat. I forgot it was there and took off with the boat behind me. I could not see it as it was above the boat and out of the rear veiw mirrors field of view. I hear a loud noise as the thing fell apart and landed on the roadway behind my truck. I was only going about 40mph but the wind caught that wind sock and pulled so hard that it tore the joint out of the 3" to 1.5" tee fittings where they connected to the 1.5" horizontal supports. I have to rebuilt that thing now before next summer. LOL And I cleaned the joints with PVC cleaner and used a lot of PVC cement. That stuff is only so strong.

Any other idea on how to make a simple hook system to attach to the end of a 1.5" pvc schedule 40 pipe would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    Hey Moose:

You're going to need something stronger than a coat hanger. If you heat PVC with a propane tourch you can bend it. You could probably bend a nice hook in the end of your 20' pipe. Could make a hook with a coupld 90s too but I'm not sure it would be strong enough to pull up your condo.
    Regards,

Moose1am

PGottshall Guest

Unless you have a ton of weight anchoring your tree, a PVC hook should be able to pick it up. I think the hook actually will need 2 hooks to grab on both sides of the trunk:

If you're still concerned about the strength of the joints, how about getting a peg-board hammer-hanger, bending it into shape, and clamping it to your 20ft?

Paul
    Last edited by PGottshall; 12-19-2004 at 04:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Moose:

The heat gun would be even better than the torch if you are going to bend the PVC.

The only way you are going to get that joint to stop leaking on your water heater is to take it apart, clean it up real good (with a wire brush inside the fitting and emory paper on the outside of the pipe) and then re-solder it using plenty of flux.

Of course you'll have to turn off the water and drain some water out of the tank so there is no water close to where you are soldering. Any water even close will cool the pipe too much to sweat it properly. Might be easier to replace the sweat type fitting with a compression type witch doesn’t require any soldering.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast