Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poney Heads and Powder Paint

Post Thanks / Like

Default Poney Heads and Powder Paint

Here's a shot of the poney heads I have been making lately. I use the 2mm heat shrink and that works well for me.

Wanted to mold some more today, but couldn't get a single one to pour right! Found out the nozzle on my Lee Production Pot was all clogged up. Spent 2 hours trying to clear it, and wound up draining the pot. Whatever is in there is there for good. Well, it is over 25 years old, so I ordered a new one and will be back to good pours again soon!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Oh - glow chartreuse base, tapped on the brown/black (cheap at Rosey's) and then dipped the nose in blaze orange.

Post Thanks / Like

Take the pouring bar out and use a LONG handled flat head and scrape the inside hole out, push something up through the nozzle. Hold on to the pour bar and use a sharp knife and scrape it hard - it's really surprising how much stuff builds up on it which causes the pour spout to clog up. My old pots were 25 and 27 yo. They only had to be replace because they got left in the garage in the worng box when we moved and got water in it which really messed them up.

Try the above and if it still doesn't work and you want to replace it use the 1/2 price replacement program from Lee, they do stand behind their product!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll give that a shot - thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Fatman - you were right! I had to remove the base to drill out the nozzle, then spent some time scraping out the dimple where the pour rod sits. Everything works perfect now, but it does drip a bit more. That's ok - I can handle that! Thanks so much for the advice.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking pony's, I use heat shrink also. Good to hear you got your pot cleaned and ready for use
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Glad it worked out for you - don't know that I would have drilled out the nozzle, but if you can handle the drip!!

Myself I use tin foil to wrap my swivels before powder painting but that's just me.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I feel you on the drill thing. I tried dental picks and sharpened nails, but could not get the plug to move. I figured I wasn't out anything by trying the drill and it worked. I didn't make the pour hole (appears to be cast iron) any bigger. I just have to twist the pour rod frequently to stop the dripping.

Founding Member of Team SeaBrat

Tampa Bay Area - Florida

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job on the jigs. Just have started poaring the pony heads. I'm using foil on the swivels as well. Fatman thank for reply on the fluid bed media. This there a better source than Barlow for small blades?

Post Thanks / Like

Jann's Netcraft has a good selection. I also found 00 willow blades at Lurepartsonline - but they kill you with shipping charges.

Founding Member of Team SeaBrat

Tampa Bay Area - Florida

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast