Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here eat largemouth bass?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does anyone here eat largemouth bass?

I pretty much just eat crappie and remember as a kid asking my dad why he didn't keep lmb? (largemouth bass) To satisfy my curiosity one day we brought a lmb home. I remember that it's stomach was packed full of crayfish and shad, I was amazed it still hit our minnow, but I also remember that it tasted aweful. I'm under the impression that most lmb fishermen catch and release, am I wrong? Do a lot of them eat lmb that they catch?

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shhhhhhh!

I have been know to eat LMB every now and then. I use to fish strictly for them but quit when I found out I could catch more LMB while crappie and bream fishing then while LMB fishing.
    They eat ok but to me they don't have much flavor, kind of bland tasting.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If they are legal and under 3-4 lbs they get et. I use to not like them until I started filleting them and cutting the skin off.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

If you can find some spotted bass from running water you have some fine eating. IMHO
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Why would you want to eat a LMB when crappie are soooo tasty? lol

Most fishermen fishing for LMB exclusively do catch and release. Those that are fishing for food will keep anything legal and edible.

My .02

Post Thanks / Like

If I catch em I clean them. What I suggest you do is on your next fish fry serve the crappie first then save the bass for the final round. There a great filler for that fat boy that cant stop eating your crappie filets.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gooch

Quote Originally Posted by gooch
    If I catch em I clean them. What I suggest you do is on your next fish fry serve the crappie first then save the bass for the final round. There a great filler for that fat boy that cant stop eating your crappie filets.
    You figured me out! That is what I do when I fry up my shrimp. Feed them the fish until they are full and then dump the shrimp on. I always have plenty to eat this way!:D
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TapOut64
    I pretty much just eat crappie and remember as a kid asking my dad why he didn't keep lmb? (largemouth bass) To satisfy my curiosity one day we brought a lmb home. I remember that it's stomach was packed full of crayfish and shad, I was amazed it still hit our minnow, but I also remember that it tasted aweful. I'm under the impression that most lmb fishermen catch and release, am I wrong? Do a lot of them eat lmb that they catch?
    The skin is what makes them taste bad so if you fillet them and leave only the meat they should be pretty darn good. I have been eating bass for most of my life and they are much better than most people will admit. If I fry some bass and crappie you would have a hard time telling the difference in taste as it is very little. Also I am a finicky fish eater and don't want the fish to taste fishy at all or I don't want them.

When I say most of my life that is at least since the 1960's since I learned how to fillet them. Don't let them tell you they are all that bad, because they are not.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

12" bass is good eatin'.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Times are never that bad. Not that their that bad but I normally have enough bream and crappie . Always have to many stripers and I only keep the one's that won't survive
    CVA62.....64-68

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast