Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How Far South? Virginia??

Post Thanks / Like

Question How Far South? Virginia??

I thought I saw a picture somewhere of someone ice fishing in the Washington, DC area with the Capitol building in the backround... So how far south can you go and possably have safe ice to fish on? I live close to the NC/VA state line, so if there is safe ice within a few hours of me I might make a trip this winter....

-REDBOAT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by REDBOAT
    I thought I saw a picture somewhere of someone ice fishing in the Washington, DC area with the Capitol building in the backround... So how far south can you go and possably have safe ice to fish on? I live close to the NC/VA state line, so if there is safe ice within a few hours of me I might make a trip this winter....

-REDBOAT
    It is rare for the lakes to freeze over for more than a few days at a time around here. We are only 3 hours south of DC.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

We're just south of I-70 in Ohio and we're pretty much the southern end of ice fishing in this state. Some years, like last year, we only got an inch or two of ice, which isn't safe. You need at least four unless you're a little suicidal.
    We used to ice skate on farm ponds all winter when I was a kid, but it looks like those days are gone.
    You might find ice at higher elevations, or you might sit on a dock while you fish a hole in the ice next to it.. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean about the thin ice for sure! I do my ice fishing in Upstate New York from Sodus Bay, which is just East of Rochester, to the Thousand Island area on the St. Lawrance River. Generally, you are going to have safe ice somwhere between these two areas from the end of December to around St. Patricks Day. I have been on the ice at the end of the season and we were losing a 1/4 inch an hour....it comes to a point were we all look at each other and say "its time to go!!" LOL.

I know people get on the ice in Pennsylvania, I'd like to know far south people ice fish. Even if it is only one or two days a year. If the timeing is right, I might make a drive.
    Last edited by REDBOAT; 11-03-2006 at 09:48 AM.

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Redboat

I suggest, if your willing to come to Pa to ice fish, you make a post titled Pa Icefishers, and ask if some here will help you out, making an offer to fish with you. I have only ever tried it one time, but at some point, want to do it again. I know that my Pa counterparts would be gracious in helping you out.