Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Casting Rod/Dock Shooting Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default Casting Rod/Dock Shooting Rod

I have ordered a Wally Marshal Signature Lite 7ft rod to shoot docks. The question I have now is, can I cast with this rod? I have been told that is a jigging rod and not a good choice. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Its a 7' L Mod, I wouldn't suggest it for tossing jigs. I'd look for a mod/fast or fast action. It would probably work good for shooting though, you will get a good bend in the rod.

If you are looking for a Wally rod for throwing jigs, I'd suggest the signature series (cork handle) in a 6'6 LF. That would be a great rod for tossing most jigs, aside from the really light stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, after last weekend watching Wally's program that focused on Dock Shooting on Cedar Creek Lake, I have decided to make a switch. This weekend I'm gonna switch from my 4 1/2' Pro Angler Shooter to my 7' ML Bonehead rod for shooting the docks on Lake Palestine. I've already gotten 2 reports that a few Palestine docks are producing a few good crappie and with daytime temps reaching the mid to upper 70's for the last 10 days, and overnight temps barely getting out of the 60's last night & for the next couple of nights, it's getting pretty close. I hope I have a good report afterwards.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaflyer View Post
    I have ordered a Wally Marshal Signature Lite 7ft rod to shoot docks. The question I have now is, can I cast with this rod? I have been told that is a jigging rod and not a good choice. Thanks.
    I see no reason why it couldn't be used for both applications.

It looks to have a pretty long handle, which is probably why it's stated as being "designed" for jigging. In fact, it may be a better rod for jig casting, than for dock shooting ... since the long handle may be cumbersome to use when seated & trying to shoot a dock.

Pair it up with a good reel, that balances the rod & has a wide line spool or "long cast" line spool ... and give it a go !! You'll know whether it's a good choice for either/both methods, after the first couple of trips using it.

... cp