Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line weight

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line weight

Hello. I'm going to try crappie fishing again after a long hiatus. Many years ago, I used 6# test for all crappie fishing. Fishing lines have changed a lot since then. What is the generally accepted wisdom on line weight today? I read an article where a local guide (Arizona) recommended 8# Power Pro for jigs. Would you tie a leader onto that or fish it tied straight to the jig? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

All 6 of my rods are currently spooled with 6#. Then again, the lake im in, if i pull out a 1.5lb'er... thats a tournament winner. I am however considering spooling a couple of rods with 8# to adjust the falling count if need be. But i suspect that i wont use it that often.
    -SS

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Welcome to Crappie.com, Prairiedog ....

Quote Originally Posted by Prairiedog
    Hello. I'm going to try crappie fishing again after a long hiatus. Many years ago, I used 6# test for all crappie fishing. Fishing lines have changed a lot since then. What is the generally accepted wisdom on line weight today? I read an article where a local guide (Arizona) recommended 8# Power Pro for jigs. Would you tie a leader onto that or fish it tied straight to the jig? Thanks.
    In the waters I fish (Ky/Tn/Ala), the Crappie don't seem to be very "line shy". The waters are generally slightly stained to murky. I've used 4lb test mono line, up to 20lb test braid .... clear mono, photochromic mono, red mono, yellow/gold mono, lo-vis green mono, hi-vis green/chartreuse mono, white dacron, yellow braid, and grey braid. I've caught Crappie on all of them. Line "pound test", for me, is chosen for the "type/method" of fishing I'm doing ... more than for the size of fish, or any "all purpose" use.

When using braids, I don't use leaders ... I tie the hook or jig directly to the line. But, in extremely clear waters, it wouldn't hurt to have a clear mono leader attached to the braid ... especially if it gives you more confidence to do so.

Everyone's got their favorites in line size, type, and color ... so, if 6lb test worked for you, before, then it will work now. And, you're right, lines have changed a great deal, over the years ... and mostly for the better. .... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

The line size you need to use is determined on how you fish. If you are casting into open water with no structure the smaller line is great. Or if you are fishing in clear water with little to no structure you might want to use light line. I fish in rivers and in thick structure and if you have light line you wont get a fish out . I fish 12 -17 lb line. I also fish minnows and with the lighter line I would stay broke off. I really havent noticed that Crappie are very line shy.

Post Thanks / Like

For jig fishing, I like nothing heavier than 4lb (.20mm diameter.) Thinner lines cast farther, sink quicker and give the jig a more natural action.

Post Thanks / Like

when casting jigs and Spoons I use #4 when jigging brush I will use #6 so i have a chance to get my bait back:D

Post Thanks / Like

8lb hi vis yellow line for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Thanks

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I think I have a feel for it now.

Post Thanks / Like

I use several different lines, but mostly 10# PowerPro Hi-Vis Yellow and I tie it right to the jig. I also just bought 300 yards of the new Spiderwire Untracast in HI-Vis Yellow to try.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

trilene 4 lb xl on all my reels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast