Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which spinning rod?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which spinning rod?

I've ordered some painted sickle hook jig heads in a 1/16 oz size so I can tie up some jigs. I'm just wondering what power of spinning rod I'll need to cast them well. I'm thinking ultralight. Is my head in the fog or am I on the right track? What power spinning rod do y'all use?
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    But don't forget the Roadrunners

Post Thanks / Like

UL should toss them perfectly. Even a light action would be okay if you only plan to throw 1/16 and bigger.

Post Thanks / Like

I like a light to med/light for casting. Most utlra lights are too whippy for my taste.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe ... I cast 1/32 & 1/16oz jig heads w/plastics about 99% of the time, when casting for Crappie. I've used several different rods/actions/lengths/etc. but have settled on a 6'6" ESP PowerLite rod as my primary jig casting rod. Very fast action tip, IM6 High Modulus Graphite, micro guides, and extended handle rod. Used to use 4lb test mono, but currently using 6lb test ... and not seeing any noticeable distance loss. My reel is a Shimano Aero w/6lb test mono.

The biggest problem with determining whether you want to go UL, Lite, ML, etc. is that no two brands are equal in power/action under the same labeling distinction. Then you add in the parabolic bend vs fast action taper, and it's even more confusing. And yet another factor is the reel & line you intend to use.

Case in point ... when I'm using our mutual friend, the Roadrunner, I'm throwing it on a 7' BPS Bionic Blade IM8 med action rod - Shimano Spirex 2000 reel - 10/2 PowerPro braid .... and I'm getting sufficient distance for the instances in which I use 1/16oz marabou Roadrunners.

I don't think there's really a "one size fits all" catagory, when you're talking about rods. It pretty much boils down to personal preference ... and even that can change over time/use.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

My fave rod is an old BPS ProComp II 6 1/2 ft. UL rod and it casts 1/32nd and 1/16th fine. I've got 2 of the Ugly Stick ProLite rods - a 6 1/2 ft and a 7' Lite Actions on both and they kick a 1/16th well with 6 lb. trilene or the old BPS Excel line, the new stuff just ain't the same.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with UL. Rod actions tend to vary quite a bit between manufacturers, though. One company's UL is another's light and vise versa. For example, TFO's UL rod has a totally different action than Falcon's.

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bass Pro has just came out with their crappimax in a 7' med LT!!!(good price) also a good quality line is real important to casting a light jig (1/32-1/16z)!! and a smooth smooth spinning reel!!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

Light action 6'6" bass pro micro light is my choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Look at lure weight ratings, pick one with 1/16 about 2/3 to max (it doesn't matter if it is labeled light or med. light)
    Look for a moderately fast to fast action. My preference is toward fast. Also I like when my rod is under load and the load removed to return very quickly, which usually means stiffer graphite. A slower recovery (ie more wobble) would indicate less stiff graphite and/or fiberglass.

Post Thanks / Like

I use both a UL fast and a light fast to cast 16th or 32nds....... I like the light fast action a little better, but the UL gets used alot also...... Both are st croix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast