Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Geared up and ready!!! (I think.....) please read

Post Thanks / Like

Default Geared up and ready!!! (I think.....) please read

Ok fellas after all my research help from you guys and scoping out the forums I am officially going on my first ever crappie outage in a boat beginning tomorrow morning. I purchased today several thing in preparation to slay some crappie down. (or at least try) So heres my short sweet simple list of what I am going out with

10' bnm jigging pole with abu garcia cardinal sx 30 spooled with 6lbs flurocarbon rigged with two 1/32 ounce jigheads for vertical jigging

5'6 abu vigilante light rod with abu garcia cardinal sx 10 spooled with 4lbs mr crappie hi-viz with a 1/32 ounce jigheads for shooting docks

5'10 ugly stick medium action with shakesphere 35 spooled with 6 lbs stren mono with a #2 gold auberdeen hook and bobber for minners

I have green and white colored jigheads from 1/32 ounce to 1/8 ounce

white, chartreuse, silver, black "shad" jigs both bobby garland and mr crappie
    blue/white, black/pink, chartreuse, black/chartreuse tubes both mr crappie and bobby garland

i also have the stuff to rig drop shots , and some 3/8 ounce swivel sinkers

I am fishing west point lake GA the water temp is around 48-50 brown stained water and tommorrow is going to be high of 64 with west winds. I will be fishing an area where 3 creek channels enter the main body of lake

If there is anything else I need to know or suggestions of any kind would be greatly appreciated! I'm just now getting my mind halfway wrapped around this whole thing I have the FEVER!

Post Thanks / Like

Two things you MUST remember.......

1) Don't fall out o' da boat!!!

2) Post pics of your catch!!!!
    Likes bdunn3 LIKED above post

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck. Look for cover under the water if you have a depthfinder as Crappie love a hiding spot to ambush prey lots of the year. They do feed in open water too but your best bet would find you a mentor to show ya the ropes. If you post on your state forum you may be suprized with an offer to fish or you could hire a guide once . Either way you'd probably learn more in one trip than on your own in several outings.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Love the short and sweet list. Wish someone would have told me this one LOL #1 anyway.

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you ready. Go slay them slabs!!
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Post Thanks / Like

Your list looks fine to me. Good luck!

Do not forget the camera like I did on my first trip this year...

Post Thanks / Like

you catching any

Post Thanks / Like

man Im not getting any work done today ... too much stuff to read/learn about thanks for the list

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to say I don't recommend double jigs for verticle fishing cover as you will stay hung up. I prefer using one heavier jig but that's me.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a real good spot! Question; do you have a map of the lake? I didnt see that i your list. If you can, send me a pic of it and I can help you out. If you find any standing timber near those creek channels head there, fish the visible cover, whats standing out over the water, look for stumps to as you work along, that lay just below the waters surface. Do not, just ride right up this standing timber at start vertical. As you approach the timber, make underhand cast straight past the timber or submerged stump. Now, quickly real the ( single Jig ) back to with three feet of tree or stump. Now, with your rode tip at a 45degree angle just let it fall back to you.

This method is simple, and produces well, yo will be able to cover some ground this way. Not to mention, as the jig is gliding down through the water, your line is tight, your not having to real, and you will feel and see everything. Know this though, somedays, some times all in the same day fish will act different. When your line is falling back to you. You will either get that thump, or soft tap, cant miss those. But, if your line just goes slack while that jig is gliding back to you, you most likely will have a fish there, set the hook. word of caution, never jerk your rod to set the hook. A sharp hook, and a real positive pull or pop of the road tip up works great.

Well good luck. EC