Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Caddo Crappie Fishin' Question?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Caddo Crappie Fishin' Question?

Hope to get into some crappie while visiting Caddo 2/21-2/22. Will be putting in at State Park. Any ideas where I can drown a few minners and make the most of a couple of days?

Post Thanks / Like

Well I grew up in Karnck and what I would tell you is go down to Uncertain to a marina named Johnsons Ranch. When you are standing on the pier looking at the river you will want to fish back to your left. Look at a map of the lake. You want to locate an area known as Goverment ditch. You will reach it quicker from this location that from the state park. If you put in at the park ramp look to your right before putting in. When you go around that curve in the river you find a very good resturant. I have not been in the new building. The orginal place burnt down and the building there now is what the folks built back. Like I said the best area ( I think ) is out of Uncertain. In the river you have to many that think its a runway and they try to see if they can make their boats fly.
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip, I have actually seen Johnson's Ranch and been through Govt. ditch a few years ago. And yes that is a haul from State Park so will take your advise and put in there. I am with a small group that bass fishes out of Pineneedle Lodge, but my bro in-law and I crappie fish instead. Last year we only caught a few in the river, right again, too much traffic. Thanks again, will let you know how it goes!

Post Thanks / Like

The nice thing about fishing out of Johnsons Ranchis that yes there are cuts thru that part of the lake where the boats run fast but there are also big stump fields that keep them at a distance. The last time I fished the river I had a 17 ft glassmasterand would pull into the mouths of little back water pools. People coming down the river at speeds where you had to reach over and hold onto the windsheild or take the chance of being thrown out from the waves. Had a problem with jet skis and tubers. I would like to see it made illegal for either to be used within 200 ft of a shoreline. That would remove them from the river from Jefferson all the way to Louisiana. And that would not hurt my feeling at all. What will you be fishing out of? I hope by next winter to be able to fish that area out of a yak or a small toon.
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be fishing out of a 17' wareagle and don't mind stickin' it where I have to, to get away from the traffic!