Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putting On New Line

Post Thanks / Like

Default Putting On New Line

I know I have heard how to do this before. But I don't remember. I use the bail type spinning reels. Question is which way should the line come off of the spool to reduce the line twist when your line is in the water?
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

I can't ever remember which way its supposed to roll off so this is what I do. I spool my reel then before tying anything on it ill walk the line back off the reel across the yard. Once you've got it all the way back off (with someone holding the rod) give the line a few good hard pulls and stretch it. Then drop the loose end in the grass and reel it back in and it'll come in twist free. Occasionally if I've had a rod that's been wanting to twist ill cut the hook off and go stretch it out again. Seems to take care of it
    Bologna Sammich Prostaff

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BoarBuster View Post
    I know I have heard how to do this before. But I don't remember. I use the bail type spinning reels. Question is which way should the line come off of the spool to reduce the line twist when your line is in the water?
    Standard procedure is to lay the line spool flat on the floor, label up ... then hold line between finger/thumb with moderate tension & crank the handle ... while watching the line between the spool & whichever guide the line goes through first ... making sure that the line does not start getting more twists/turns in it, than it had when you first started reeling in ... if it does start twisting up, flip the spool over & continue filling the reel. Fill to within a max of 1/8" of the lip of the spool.

Dragging the empty line behind a boat at idle speed or through the grass will help remove twists that occur from casting. Sometimes your jig flies through the air like a knuckle ball, and other times it will spin like a airplane propeller ... imparting a twist in your line for every 360deg roll of the jig.
    Also, after the line has sat on the unused reel for awhile, I like to take it outside & tie it off to something immovable and walk off about 2-3 times the distance of a good long cast. Then I stretch the line several times, holding it for a few seconds at max stretch, then cut the line loose from the immovable object and reel the line back on under tension (between finger/thumb). That usually seems to make the line more limp from the stretching, as well as remove any residual twists left over from the last use when dragged through the grass & back onto the reel.

... cp
    Likes Tom 513 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie chasin fool View Post
    I can't ever remember which way its supposed to roll off so this is what I do. I spool my reel then before tying anything on it ill walk the line back off the reel across the yard. Once you've got it all the way back off (with someone holding the rod) give the line a few good hard pulls and stretch it. Then drop the loose end in the grass and reel it back in and it'll come in twist free. Occasionally if I've had a rod that's been wanting to twist ill cut the hook off and go stretch it out again. Seems to take care of it
    Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Standard procedure is to lay the line spool flat on the floor, label up ... then hold line between finger/thumb with moderate tension & crank the handle ... while watching the line between the spool & whichever guide the line goes through first ... making sure that the line does not start getting more twists/turns in it, than it had when you first started reeling in ... if it does start twisting up, flip the spool over & continue filling the reel. Fill to within a max of 1/8" of the lip of the spool.

Dragging the empty line behind a boat at idle speed or through the grass will help remove twists that occur from casting. Sometimes your jig flies through the air like a knuckle ball, and other times it will spin like a airplane propeller ... imparting a twist in your line for every 360deg roll of the jig.
    Also, after the line has sat on the unused reel for awhile, I like to take it outside & tie it off to something immovable and walk off about 2-3 times the distance of a good long cast. Then I stretch the line several times, holding it for a few seconds at max stretch, then cut the line loose from the immovable object and reel the line back on under tension (between finger/thumb). That usually seems to make the line more limp from the stretching, as well as remove any residual twists left over from the last use when dragged through the grass & back onto the reel.

... cp

Both ways sound good to me. Thank You very much.
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

I know everyone has there own way that works for them, but this video by guide Doug Youngblood on Lake Lanier here in Georgia has really simplified spooling spinning reels, I just put the line in the 1st line guide on the rod when spooling and not all the line guides. Let the spool be vertical and come off the top of the spool and keep the line taut. I use my feet to hold the spool or a Berkley Line Spooler. Works on all types of reels. Here's the video link. Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Enfezj33J8

Post Thanks / Like

I have always been told to put it on the way your reel turns. If clock wise make sure line comes off spool clockwise. I point reel down see what way it turns then flop spool in same direction.
    Likes Tom 513 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by usafret99 View Post
    I have always been told to put it on the way your reel turns. If clock wise make sure line comes off spool clockwise. I point reel down see what way it turns then flop spool in same direction.
    X2 on the money

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

Lay the spool flat, label up. Grab the line and pull straight up about 3', now lower the line to the floor. Do you see any twists? If not, that's the way to spool it. If you see twists, flip the spool over and grab the line at the spool, pull out another 3' of line and check for twists.

Now, after doing that you have the line coming off the spool the "right" way, lets hope your spinning reel turns the correct way for the spool! Attach your line to the spool and start winding, with the spool still laying flat on the floor and the line coming off the spool straight in the air. Wind about 20' and then drop the rod tip to the floor and check for twists. If you see twists, flip the spool and try another 20'. If its worse, go back to the other way.

If you fish in a boat, first trip out start letting out line when idling (no lure attached). Idle forwards for 2 or 3 minutes with all your line out the back of the boat, then put it in neutral and wide it back in with your rod tip in the water. Bingo, no twists and an even spool of line.
    Likes RetiredRR LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Countrytime View Post
    I know everyone has there own way that works for them, but this video by guide Doug Youngblood on Lake Lanier here in Georgia has really simplified spooling spinning reels, I just put the line in the 1st line guide on the rod when spooling and not all the line guides. Let the spool be vertical and come off the top of the spool and keep the line taut. I use my feet to hold the spool or a Berkley Line Spooler. Works on all types of reels. Here's the video link. Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Enfezj33J8

Been doing it this way for years.

Post Thanks / Like

Another tip that I picked up and originally scoffed at was to apply line conditioner. Best done at home or in a park. Fix your line to an post, tree, picnic table, etc..,
    Walk away from that point until you have an empty reel. Go back and detach line from the object. Generously apply line conditioner to a soft rag. I usually use a 4x4 piece of chamois which is soaked in line conditioner (just squeeze out the excess) Place chamois over line and hold between thumb and finger as you are reeling it back onto the reel. Cleans line, removes twist, and IMO improves casting distance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast