Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: how to attack smallish, deep, crystal clear lake after ice out

Post Thanks / Like

Default how to attack smallish, deep, crystal clear lake after ice out

The closest Crappie fishing to me is a 100+ acre deep, clear, lake with many fingers,channels. This is where I will cut my teeth in targeting Crappie once the ice leaves. What technique do you all think I should start with? I have a bassboat, electronics, and will set up holders/rods as needed.

Thanks in advance,
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I would consider is do you plan to go with minnows or some other live bait. Myself I like smakk worms or jigs. But I also have several small to medium size diving lures. Really I suppose the thing to do is try several things and see which you like the best and what works for you.
    FISH ON

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember seeing a "TV Angler" fishing for Crappie shortly after ice out. He was fishing with minnows, fairly shallow, over emerging weeds.

Here's a couple of "ideas" that might give you a place to start :

http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/fi.../iceoutcrappie

http://www.mnfishingpros.com/knock_on_wood.php

... cp
    Likes bdunn3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodelrod View Post
    The closest Crappie fishing to me is a 100+ acre deep, clear, lake with many fingers,channels. This is where I will cut my teeth in targeting Crappie once the ice leaves. What technique do you all think I should start with? I have a bassboat, electronics, and will set up holders/rods as needed.

Thanks in advance,
    Rick
    Do you know where the crappies are now? And where they spawn? Draw a straight line between the two and the fish will be somewhere along that line. Most likely on the first drop from the spawning grounds to the main lake basin. I'd start fan fasting along that break until you find them, they will be schooled up. Then toss out a slip bobber/minnow or just keep casting on the school. Smaller baits, lighter jigs, and thin line.

As the water warms the fish will move closer and closer to the spawning grounds, which is usually some sort of weedy/reedy area over light sand bottom on an area of the lake that gets a lot of sun (north or east side)

Be sure to fish slow until the water warms, crappies won't start aggressively chasing food until the water hits close to 40 at the surface. But then its game on until spawn.

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin22, I have not specifically targeted Crappies here. I'm hoping to locate them with my electronics. Is it likely that the fish will be deep after ice out? Later next week is forecast to bring 3 days in the 50's! I hope to get on the water as long as ice is gone and ramp accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin22 View Post
    Do you know where the crappies are now? And where they spawn? Draw a straight line between the two and the fish will be somewhere along that line. Most likely on the first drop from the spawning grounds to the main lake basin. I'd start fan fasting along that break until you find them, they will be schooled up. Then toss out a slip bobber/minnow or just keep casting on the school. Smaller baits, lighter jigs, and thin line.

As the water warms the fish will move closer and closer to the spawning grounds, which is usually some sort of weedy/reedy area over light sand bottom on an area of the lake that gets a lot of sun (north or east side)

Be sure to fish slow until the water warms, crappies won't start aggressively chasing food until the water hits close to 40 at the surface. But then its game on until spawn.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends how late in the season the ice is. If your ice just went out, then yeah they are probably still deep. Most of the crappies will head to the main lake basin this time of year under the ice. Anywhere from 20-40' of water, they will suspend over that deep water. As soon as the ice goes out, within a couple days, the fish will stay out there in that deeper water. Then they will migrate towards the spring spawning grounds, working their way shallow. There will always be fish up shallow, but the bulk will be hanging in deeper water along a drop until the water warms a bit. Once the surface hits the magic 40º its game on, the fish head for the shallows and start chasing food.

If you don't know the lake, then look for a rocky shoreline with deep water close, metal boat docks and break walls as well, anything that will hold the day's heat. By mid afternoon the shallow fish will migrate towards the warmth, especially if it is sunny.

If you are going to use your electronics, then vertical jig them. Find the fish and drop a small, light, jig down and watch it on your sonar. Shortly after ice out my favorite lures are 1" gulp minnows on 1/80-1/64 heads, #8 ratso from custom jigs and spins, and if I am vertical jigging then a #6 demon jigging spoon from custom jigs and spins with 3 or 4 maggots on it (or 2 waxworms).
    Likes hotrodelrod LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin22,

Thanks for all the help and tips!

Post Thanks / Like

pm sent